Beer Grenade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Well we have heard it all before but here we go again. Had a bbq a couple of weeks ago and a friend left some of his homebrews behind in stubbies. Anyway I needed the room in the keg fridge fro glasses so I put these on the kitchen table and forgot about them.

About 10:30pm last night I was watching tv in bed and there was a bang and the sound of glass breaking. It was either the dog, or a burgular ..... anyway it was a stubby detonating. Blast radius was about 20 foot, there was glass everywhere .... all I can say is I am glad I was not in the room. Bloody dangerous. Diffused the remaining three grenades wearing gloves and glasses and they were ready to blow as well.

Dangerous stuff. :ph34r:

The dog was asleep in the same room and bolted down the passage and lost bladder control for an breif period .... not the best guard dog :unsure:

Not supposed to be funny I know

I can't help it the dog bit toppped it off :lol: :lol: :lol:

not a nice tale jasony.couldve been worse. :ph34r:
me thinks your mate needs to learn a fair bit more about priming rates.

cheers
big d

yeah, hasn't happened to me yet, but i must say it's one of my biggest fears. I wonder how much (or by how little) one needs to overprime to experience granades, 10, 20, 30.. grams???

My theory on hand Grenades (based upon a couple of unfortunate personal incidents :( ) is that it's not so much the overpriming but rather the far too early bottling that most of did when starting out.

I think that if you bottle after a too short period there are fermentables still availbe for the secondary fermentation in the bottle - on top of the priming sugar.

The worry of course being that when we're new to this we religously follow the kit instructions which make it sound like the most important thing for beer quality is to bottle within 5 or 7 days, on pain of death!

I also found that too early bottling would produce variable levels of carbonation. My theory is that there would be slightly different levels of unfermented sugars at various heights of the fermenter, probably the bottles taken from near the bottom would be higher in sugars etc. result is some gushers and some normal.

Best answer must be racking to a secondary fermenter. Not only does it give the extra time for as much fermentation as possible but I guess it also mixes up the wort as it flows.

And really clean and sanitise those bottles!

A bacterial infection will take your beer from a Fg of say 1012 all the way to 990!

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back