Beer Goggles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I remember talking with one or two of you mob about how when the homebrewing disease takes hold you start sizing up everyday items for potential use in the brewery. Do you guys do it, and what are some items you find yourself looking at and thinking "Man, I could really use that as a _____ in my brewery!"?

I was in the phramaceuticals aisle of the supermarket tonight where I saw a pill cutter, a little doodad they lets you cut your pills in half. I found myself staring at it and wondering if it would be good for cutting whirlfloc tablets. Earlier today I spent a good few minutes staring at a Fowlers preservation urn and scratching my chin thoughtfully and yesterday I had a good ogle at a 20L stainless steel rice warmer in a Chinese grocery store.

So, do you find yourself doing this? If so, what sort of items do you find yourself eyeing off and for what purpose?

i drive past the local and oggle the ss kegs
i walk through the lab at work and scheme on how to score the mag stirrers/erlenmeyer flasks, test tubes etc and occasionaly score big via the skip bin outside of the lab.eg the big ss square electric heated temp variable tank i scored recently.big mash here i come.
at work always looking at things through beer eyes.some scores are nfp at the moment. ;)

cheers
big d

big d said:
i drive past the local and oggle the ss kegs
i walk through the lab at work and scheme on how to score the mag stirrers/erlenmeyer flasks, test tubes etc and occasionaly score big via the skip bin outside of the lab.eg the big ss square electric heated temp variable tank i scored recently.big mash here i come.
at work always looking at things through beer eyes.some scores are nfp at the moment. ;)

cheers
big d
Big D,
Be careful. There is a reason for working lab equipment to end up in the bin.
You just never, never know what it had in it prior to the bin.
You don't work in a Uraniun mine do you :D
cheers
Darren

so it glows in the dark.it makes brewing at night easier. ;)

no i checked it out first and its redundant to needs and no i dont work at ranger or anywhere near there so im very safe i hope ;) in an industry where i may forget things though

cheers
big d

big d said:
so it glows in the dark.it makes brewing at night easier. ;)

no i checked it out first and its redundant to needs and no i dont work at ranger or anywhere near there so im very safe i hope ;) in an industry where i may forget things though

cheers
big d
Good to hear you checked it out! A bloke I know picked about three incubators out of salvage bins at a local hospital. I had a look at them and they were lined with asbestos for insulation. Heavy metal contamination can also be a problem with industry equipment.cheers
Darren

I find my eyes wandering around the labs at uni, checking out all the cool glass vessels, testing equipment and those mag stirrers!

Usually go through Bunnings and other catalogues looking for anything that could be adapted for brewing.

Gotta love this 'hobby' ;)

Must say I drool each time I walk past the chemical enginering department at Adelaide
Uni. Those big bioreactors and fermenters in the glass fronted building on Frome road look impressive
darren

Latest posts

Back