Beer Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
hey guys my old man and i were talking and this topic came up on the care of beer glasses for the best use.
i most of the time hand wash mine with a tiny amount of dish washing liquid in hot water then a hot water rinse. the question is what do most of you do? and do you also polish your glasses?
any views on this would be gratefully appreciated. i also have tried the search button but gave up after about 15 pages.

The general opinion is that any detergent will cause the head of your beer to break down, as that is what a detergent is designed to do.

I just rinse my glasses in warm water, and every so often use vinegar and bicarb, which gets them sparkling clean. I do polish with a clean soft towel (not a tea which has already been used to dry soapy dishes).

thanks barfridge i had been thinking of moving away from the detergent and more toward the psr every 3rd or 4th wash while every other one is just hot water.

thanks mate i must be going blind to have missed that one

To tell the absolute truth........
I give my glass a quick wash/rinse with v. hot water with or without detergent, and fill it again as quick as i can with beer!
No head probs with any of my beers, and my glass looks clean to me?
Cheers,

I used to be fussy about this, but not any more. Straight in the dishwasher. Quick rinse afterwards if I can be fagged. Or not.

Haven't had a head retention problem since my last kilo of sugar about two years ago. Maybe coz we don't use normal rinse aid -- either the Planet Ark stuff or white vinegar.

mine dont go in the dishwasher at the moment cause it scratches the shit out of them

:chug:
hi Guys.
I gave up on Beer Glasses . now i use 400ml clear disposables from big W you can wash them anyway you want any you never have a problem with your Beer .

Happy Brewing
Gary

.....How about a jug and a couple of straws :rolleyes:

I much prefer this. :blink:

Warren -

skull_stein_closed_b.jpg

I have two separate lots of glasses: a whole bunch of cheapos that go in the dishwasher every time (no rinse aid). This way I have a constant supply of clean glasses on hand for daily use and for larger gatherings of lower life forms. They do age over time, but at least they are clean (the glasses, not the lower life forms).

Smaller soirees with superior beings - ie the ones that know the difference between a pilsner and a pale ale - get my good glassware (the branded ones or the nice bohemian crystal). These only ever get washed by hand. Never be tempted to put decorated glasses in the washer, I can tell you from painful experience it will bugger them.

I don't trust hot water alone - lips contain fats and oils at the best of times, let alone if there's food around - so I always use detergent but I do rinse really well.

A final tip - when fully rinsed, rinse again in cold water - hot water tends to evaporate off leaving spots, whereas a cold rinse drains off.

Wortgames said:
I have two separate lots of glasses: a whole bunch of cheapos that go in the dishwasher every time (no rinse aid). This way I have a constant supply of clean glasses on hand for daily use and for larger gatherings of lower life forms. They do age over time, but at least they are clean (the glasses, not the lower life forms).

Smaller soirees with superior beings - ie the ones that know the difference between a pilsner and a pale ale - get my good glassware (the branded ones or the nice bohemian crystal). These only ever get washed by hand. Never be tempted to put decorated glasses in the washer, I can tell you from painful experience it will bugger them.

I don't trust hot water alone - lips contain fats and oils at the best of times, let alone if there's food around - so I always use detergent but I do rinse really well.

A final tip - when fully rinsed, rinse again in cold water - hot water tends to evaporate off leaving spots, whereas a cold rinse drains off.
[post="53045"][/post]​

Nice post WG.

I keep a pack of plastic cups on hand, for gathering of superior beer fanatics. These gatherings tend to have lots of different samples that really deserve fresh glasses each time.

All the glassware gets the gentle hot detergent handwash in the sink at the start of washing up. Then they get a hot rinse and drain to air dry rather than teatowel dry.

Watch out when dragging the special glassware out, if it has dust in it, this causes excess foaming when the beer is poured.

My beer glasses get a hot wash with detergent, and rinsed triply. Tea towel or air drying depends on who's drying the dishes or my level of apathy, but all glasses get stored upside-down.

Rinse under very hot water, leave to drain & cool, then back into the freezer

Cheers

I have 3 lots of glasses:
- the first lot is a pack of 18x 250ml standard beer glasses, purchased for the AHB meet I had here last month
- second is my normal drinking glasses. A few nonic and tulip pint glasses, a nice weihenstephan weizen glass, and a large stein, plus a couple of stem glasses.
- third is the good stuff, mostly belgian glasses: chimay, kwak, duvel etc.

All of mine get washed straight after use in hot water, and occasional soaks in vinegar and bicarb if I notice its not holding its head, or isnt completely sparkling anymore.

I use hot water after each beer, and then Clear As Ice ( Liquid caustic product).
every couple of weeks. This stuff is a comercial product used by pubs etc for their weekly hand scrub. Awesome presentation of my beers. I got the stuff from the HBS when I got my keg set up.
James

Back