Beer & Glasses $20 @ Dans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Today I walked down to the local Dans.
They have some beer + glasses gift packs for just under $20:
dansglasses.jpg

Paulaner Oktoberfest and DAB are 1L cans with 1L steins, while the Weihenstephan pack includes the glass and 3x 500ml cans.
... seemed a decent price to me, figured others might be interested - at least something to add to a Christmas list.

must go back and get the weihestephan pack. I had one of those glasses for the past couple of years. Was my favourite glass till it broke recently and I've missed it ever since..

Any Recommadation's

I picked up the Weihenstephan pack a couple of days ago. All of the beer was great and I agree the glass is first class.

The three 500ml beers alone are good value for $20.

Any Recommadation's
The 1L stein/glasses look cool but are huge and I don't often drink my beer out of 1L glasses so if I got one it would just sit in the cupboard and not get used.

I got the Weihenstephan pack a few years ago and love the beer and the glass is my standard glass to drink out of...love it!!

they also had a belgian beer and glass pack. st feuillien triple blonde and bruin and glass for around 25 i think it was. beer was pretty good

these were about some time ago, I have one in the Cabinet I think the missus got me if I remember correctly, good display glass but a little thin compared to a great number of other glasses I own..

they do look great though.

:icon_cheers:

Picked up two of the Paulaner ones some time back from BWS for $5 each. Enjoyed the beer and regret not buying more at that price. Good heavy glass and a week ago saw some one flogging the stein on Ebay for $25 :huh:

This looks alright as well:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_705127...glass-gift-pack

Hobgoblin + Pint glass.

They're not the proper glass. They are a straight sided pint glass with a small logo on them as opposed to a proper big logo. I was disapointed with the glass I got from Dan's. I got two from the UK that look like the one pictured below but also have text on the other side. I was expecting the glasses from Dan's to be the same. No reason not to get a glass from Dan's just be aware that it is a small logo.

45_hobgoblin_etched_pint_glass.jpg

In terms of functionality I think the Weihenstephan glass looks to be a beauty. I saw in a glass thread somewhere that someone was saying that the rifling of the glass makes the liquid swirl more as you drink from it and this releases more aromatics up your snorkel. Apparently rifled glasses like these are not commonly available. There's probably a proper term for it but most would understand what I mean by rifling. My missus doesn't like tall glasses like these because they are hard to stack in the dishwasher, I get the death stare when I use them.

I am a bit meh about 1 litre steins. Sure they may have a German breweries name on them but a 1 litre stein is a 1 litre stein isn't it? It is not a vessel I would use very often. [End of glass babbling.]

They're not the proper glass. They are a straight sided pint glass with a small logo on them as opposed to a proper big logo. I was disapointed with the glass I got from Dan's. I got two from the UK that look like the one pictured below but also have text on the other side. I was expecting the glasses from Dan's to be the same. No reason not to get a glass from Dan's just be aware that it is a small logo.

In terms of functionality I think the Weihenstephan glass looks to be a beauty. I saw in a glass thread somewhere that someone was saying that the rifling of the glass makes the liquid swirl more as you drink from it and this releases more aromatics up your snorkel. Apparently rifled glasses like these are not commonly available. There's probably a proper term for it but most would understand what I mean by rifling. My missus doesn't like tall glasses like these because they are hard to stack in the dishwasher, I get the death stare when I use them.

I am a bit meh about 1 litre steins. Sure they may have a German breweries name on them but a 1 litre stein is a 1 litre stein isn't it? It is not a vessel I would use very often. [End of glass babbling.]

Don't put these in the dishwasher!!!! :eek: Pretty much say goodbye to the logo on them.

I got my Weihenstephan glass a while ago and just recently got another glass (can't remember the name of the brewery) which was the same shape EXCEPT no rifling and noticed a difference between the two but the shape of the glass itself (big top, small middle, medium bottom) is a big factor as well. Both work great in giving the most aroma and a great glass to drink out of.

Don't put these in the dishwasher!!!! :eek: Pretty much say goodbye to the logo on them.

Painted yes, etched not so much. I have a nice pony/butcher glass that I like to use but it has a VB logo print on it, the dishwasher is working away at it and I look forward to the day when I won't be able to read VB on it! No problems with glass turning cloudy or retaining head, foam stability etc, if I use the blue rinse stuff. Otherwise glasses can turn opaque.

Edit for clarrity: tall, skinny, etched glasses of a size similar to the Weihenstephan glass are troublesome in the dishwasher. I don't put the Weihenstephan glass in the dishbasher, it has a printed logo on it.

Painted yes, etched not so much. I have a nice pony/butcher glass that I like to use but it has a VB logo print on it, the dishwasher is working away at it and I look forward to the day when I won't be able to read VB on it! No problems with glass turning cloudy or retaining head, foam stability etc, if I use the blue rinse stuff. Otherwise glasses can turn opaque.

Agreed, the Weihenstephan ones are printed (painted) on so I would assume they would dissapear in no time and the nice gold look bits would not last long either

I have a heap of etched one and they go in all the time

And this is how the glass looks full of their dunkelweizen:
IMG_20121205_00144.jpg
Which by the way I had to swap from their fridge for the Pilsner that was in the box (along with a hefe and kristall), when nobody was looking (not that they should care given they're all the same price).

Not sure this glass could be described as thin though, it's feels pretty bloody hefty to me. Will weigh it when i finish this dunkel and edit accordingly...

After seeing this thread I had to pop down to dans and see what I could pick up.

This is what I decided to get myself for my birthday...

20121205_165536small.jpg

Obviously the bottles are already in the fridge...

I caved in for a Duvel glass deal at Steve's Cool booze in Kingsford (Sydney), and spied they have a keg of Rodenbach Grand Cru next in line for their new Growler setup, result!

After seeing this thread I had to pop down to dans and see what I could pick up.

This is what I decided to get myself for my birthday...

View attachment 59062

Obviously the bottles are already in the fridge...

Happy Birthday

imagesCA5V4F68.jpg

Back