Beer gas Vs CO2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremyray

Reaction score
I have taped a Reschs draught keg using my home brew Co2 bottle and the beer seems to be flat. It appears to be "de-carbonating" in the line. Do i really need to get a 25% nitrogen bottle or is there a way of tweaking my beer line length to prevent this? Thanks in advance.

Adding N2 will REDUCE the amount of CO2 (fizz), Just turn the pressure up to get the right amount of dissolved CO2 for the temperature you are at (Braukaiser Carbonation Tables). You would be looking at somewhere around 4.75-5g/L of CO2.
Ones you have the pressure where it has to be, you might need to adjust your lines to get an ideal flowrate at the tap.

A small fan in your fridge will de-complicate the whole process, otherwise as the beer level falls, it will get colder, then the amount of carbonation will increase as the level of the beer goes down.
Mark

Jeremyray said:
I have taped a Reschs draught keg using my home brew Co2 bottle and the beer seems to be flat. It appears to be "de-carbonating" in the line. Do i really need to get a 25% nitrogen bottle or is there a way of tweaking my beer line length to prevent this? Thanks in advance.
How long did you have the beer hooked up to co2 for and at what pressure ?

Jeremyray said:
Perhaps the rig compensated to ensure a lower carbonation level for breakfast beer, at 7:05 AM.

Les the Weizguy said:
Perhaps the rig compensated to ensure a lower carbonation level for breakfast beer, at 7:05 AM.
LOL .. good onya..

I hooked it up and started pouring as soon as the fittings arrived, ... (4 days late). It was running about 7psi through 2.5 metres of line, Now running at about 12psi through about 4.5 metres. I still think it needs a bit more line and pressure but it was an immediate and remarkable difference. I was under the assumption CUB kegs would be ready to go.

They *do* arrive ready to go. You'll still decarbonate them if you dont have your serving pressures set right for that particular beer, and of course it's entirely possible the keg was leaky and decarbonated itself. Running a bar you do see faulty kegs from time to time.

What was the useby on the keg?

Back