Beer Gas To Oxy Welding Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some time ago I made a few enquiries about CO2 gas for beer in this forum.

One person wrote in and said he used to work at BOC gases.

Went on to say that CO2 is CO2. It all comes from the one big tank. One price for fire extinguisher, another price for the home brewer.

That's weird.

Having gone down to BOC South Melbourne myself to enquire about bottle rental, the guy took me around the back and said 'NEVER' use a charcoal grey bottle for kegging as these are for welding. He pointed to all the green ones in the back of a truck and said they were the only ones safe for kegging. Didn't go into a thorough explanation of why though. Can't remember if they had a different label on them also. From memory the prices were pretty much the same I thought. That said we didn't discuss CO2 for fire extinguishing use - and am aware that there are some handy engineering types on this site that have used those successfully for kegging.

You probably need someone who is experienced in both kegging & welding like Domosura (Beerbelly Retailer) who would weld on his premises and (keg beer) to set the record straight on why one doesn't go into the other.

Personally, I prefer not to dance with death in the pale moonlight. :ph34r: I want to be around long enough to enjoy the next beer.

Hopper.

FWIW, and not wanting to stir shit but just share what was related to me by someone in the biz, according to them the only difference between medical and industrial O2 (nb. not CO2) was the cylinder prep. Medical was cleaned (inside & out) before filling, industrial wasn't. Or so the story goes, whether true or not I have no way of verifying and it could be bullshit... :unsure:

OT: My work owns hundreds of G size (~50L) CO2 cylinders and regs, soon phasing out the existing CO2 systems (gas bubblers for water level recorders) in favour of Ott bubblers or wet pressure transducers, keep your eyes open for bulk cheap 2nd hand cylinders with regs! B)

Edit: Clarity- Ott: German hydrographic kit.

That's weird.

Having gone down to BOC South Melbourne myself to enquire about bottle rental, the guy took me around the back and said 'NEVER' use a charcoal grey bottle for kegging as these are for welding. He pointed to all the green ones in the back of a truck and said they were the only ones safe for kegging. Didn't go into a thorough explanation of why though. Can't remember if they had a different label on them also. From memory the prices were pretty much the same I thought. That said we didn't discuss CO2 for fire extinguishing use - and am aware that there are some handy engineering types on this site that have used those successfully for kegging.

I was told this too! It's the colour of the bottle that makes the C02 safe. It is the same gas that goes into both, but the colour changes its safety levels to upwards of 5.
Dont know why though. Cant remember.

Well the BOC man here in Gunnedah sold me a charcoal gray cylinder.... The same cylinder is also supllied to the pubs / clubs in this area

Well the BOC man here in Gunnedah sold me a charcoal gray cylinder.... The same cylinder is also supllied to the pubs / clubs in this area

Just paint it then and make it a food grade one ;)

I suppose it depends on the shade of charcoal, are they not all some form of grey?

here's my thoughts, logically thinking, I think the difference is in safety standards, as consumption requires them to do more strict testing to make sure there aren't any bad stuff inside the cylinder, where as for industrial use, the product specification is less strict, so there's no certainty on whether it's good enough for consumption.

FWIW, and not wanting to stir shit but just share what was related to me by someone in the biz, according to them the only difference between medical and industrial O2 (nb. not CO2) was the cylinder prep. Medical was cleaned (inside & out) before filling, industrial wasn't. Or so the story goes, whether true or not I have no way of verifying and it could be bullshit... :unsure:

OT: My work owns hundreds of G size (~50L) CO2 cylinders and regs, soon phasing out the existing CO2 systems (gas bubblers for water level recorders) in favour of Ott bubblers or wet pressure transducers, keep your eyes open for bulk cheap 2nd hand cylinders with regs! B)

Edit: Clarity- Ott: German hydrographic kit.

I knew you were a hydrographer when i read the bit re gas bubblers for water level recorders. Who u work for? Going to AHA in perth this year - note - AHA = Australian Hydrographers Association in this case, not the hoteliers association.

Hi if it helps

Charcoal grey cylinder with a secondary colour on the shoulder cylinder = a cellarmix gas which is good for pouring beers.
All pubs and clubs have this gas

Cream colour cylinder (one colour)= Co2 gas which is good for charging kegs and post mix machines in pubs an clubs

Only use food grade gas B)

Back