Beer For Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratis

Reaction score
My brother bought a kegerator and is eager to start using it.

We'll be making some homebrew to put into it, but until then he wants to know where he can buy CUB/Tooheys kegs. I assume he needs to go to a pub.

Cant buy em, its illegal to have any stamped kegs. I think you can get them unstamped shipped from the states somewhere for about $500-600 each...
Much better off going with cornys - ie ex coke/pepsi kegs that are being phased out. 19L capacity and readily available from ebay and homebrew shops, usually about 70-80 each reconditioned...

If he wants beer in those kegs then go to a bottle-o that sells kegs (in Perth only pub drive throughs bother to sell kegs) Otherwise use Corney kegs as filling up 50L is a bugger and hard to work in a closed environment like these kegs (though possible)

Cant buy em, its illegal to have any stamped kegs. I think you can get them unstamped shipped from the states somewhere for about $500-600 each...
Much better off going with cornys - ie ex coke/pepsi kegs that are being phased out. 19L capacity and readily available from ebay and homebrew shops, usually about 70-80 each reconditioned...

Yep he wants beer in the kegs. Anybody know a bottleshop in melbourne that sells them?

If he wants beer in those kegs then go to a bottle-o that sells kegs (in Perth only pub drive throughs bother to sell kegs) Otherwise use Corney kegs as filling up 50L is a bugger and hard to work in a closed environment like these kegs (though possible)

I belive nearly all bottleshops connected with a pub will sell them, especially ones that say party hire

Try local IGA connected bottle shop as they ar indepent and usually willing to get in whatever you want.
know this as I used to manage one :D

I regualary buy kegs of coopers PA for my home system . I recently went to the liquor marketing trade show ( ticket suplied coz I get a few ) and looked into imported beers on tap ... mmmmm some good sounding beers( a few nice samples) and its a realistic price ... Dont be frightend ask to speek to the manager of a pub that sells the beer you want and do a deal ... it looks good in a pubs books to do more kegs....
:beer:

So by 'buy a keg' do you just mean hire one like you would for a party? Because sure nearly any bottle/pub will do that (around here anyway) but to actually buy the staino keg (ie to personally own forever, using it for whatever you wanted) is impossible to do legally, as I understand anyway...sorry about the confustion

your right you cant own them but if you were to drink one then refill it a few times befor retruning it and getting an other whos going to worry about that...

:beer:

Back