Beer Floaties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Reaction score
g'day guys,
I've had a pils in lager for the last 2 weeks and i have went to check on it this arvo and noticed something floating on the surface that i havent seen before. It almost looks like oily grain husk, but i doubt it is because the brew has been racked once already. I did a taste/smell test, and everything seems ok. Just wondering if i might have the onset of some infection. If it is i'm gone drink it like theres no tomorrow because at the moment it dont taste too bad at all.
Anyone got any thoughts?

cheers :)

VL.

ps i know its not the best to open the fermenter like this, but its the only way to get the shot.

IMG_0021.JPG

I can't tell exactly what form the growth is from the piccy, but if it was mine I'll be kegging and drinking it ASAP before it gets hold and gets worse.
Also don't get the top layer into your keg for obvious reasons.
I've seen similar growths when beers have been left in secondary for too long or racked too later in the fermentation cycle. Getting them kegged and drunk quick is all good :p

Beers,
Doc

A couple of years ago I opened my fermenter ready for bottling (actually after removing the airlock in preparation for bottling) and noticed a white skin over the surface of my brew. My first thoughts were "Gee, I've just brewed some drain cleaner!" I took a sample out through the tap and tasted it and it seemed alright. I wasn't overly confident though... So I only botle about 18 bottles and threw the rest away - just to see what the outcome was like. The answer - I really couldn't too much wrong, however this was in my K & k days - no grains or hops whatsoever. If it were to happen again today I would a little more wary as to the infection could be: In Mr. Palmer's Bible he does mention something about moulds (molds in his land) and that basically you scrape them off the surface and continue on - or something to that effect.

Steve is now going to bed.

I had something similar to this early last year, although it never showed up in the fermenter but in every one of the 60 stubbies of oatmeal stout I bottled. Just a thin, almost oily layer of strange floaties.
I'm still drinking them and still haven't noticed any strange taste or smells.

This may be something totally different, but it looks similar.
Suck it or chuck it.

Simo

Latest posts

Back