Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmysuperlative

Reaction score
I saw this beer filter when I was browsing the hydrofil site for John Guest tubing.

I'm not in the market myself, but thought it could help someone who's been searching for one?

picture ...

ber_filter.jpg

Good price - same as I paid for mine. just make sure you get the pleated cartridge & not the spun one...
The haze table confirms my findings...

Hi Ross,

May be a stupid Q...but are you able to explain why pleated cartridges are preferred to polyspun. I thought the pore size is more important.

Regards

MWS

markws said:
Hi Ross,

May be a stupid Q...but are you able to explain why pleated cartridges are preferred to polyspun. I thought the pore size is more important.

Regards

MWS
[post="74198"][/post]​

MWS,

You are right - pore size is very impotant & that is why you should ask for an "absolute" micron size. Polyspun are not "absolute" & consequently a 1 micron spun cartridge may only be effectively filtering to 3 micron or so. Also, the spun cartridge works by progressively reducing its pore size & the yeast gets trapped betwwen its many layers - This in effect means that you have a "1 use" cartridge as they are impossible to clean. A PET pleated cartridge however, can be easily cleaned with 1 teaspoon of napisan after use & is good for upto 100 (20L) brews.

Cheers Ross...

Ross,

Thanks for the response - much appreciated.

Regards

MWS

Jimmy.

Thanks for the link. Just bought one. $69 with fittings, 2 filters and free postage to Melbourne. Not bad. :beerbang:

Looks like I'm joining the bright beer club. :lol:

Warren -

BTW

You're not a real brewer until you filter your beer. :lol: :lol: :beer:

Warren -

Welcome to the club warren :D :beer:

Thanks Ross, :)

Tell me though... Are they worth the effort? :unsure: Have you had any of the reported cardboard problems a lot of people claim can eventuate?

Looking forward to clearing up a few of my lighter coloured beers. :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Thanks Ross, :)

Tell me though... Are they worth the effort? :unsure: Have you had any of the reported cardboard problems a lot of people claim can eventuate?

Looking forward to clearing up a few of my lighter coloured beers. :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="74250"][/post]​

ABSOLUTELY worth it - I only filter beers that require it & have NEVER had cardboard flavours - i also filter the beer I bottle (6 x 750ml) from each batch with great results.
I've had the occaisional beer go cloudy in the keg & you can even clear this up within minutes, by transfering through the filter to another keg.
Many of the yeasts require filtering for a clear brew & IMO it's much better than mixing additives to the brew...

Cheers Ross. :)

Sounds like I'll have some fun with it then. Looking forward to trying it out. :beer:

Warren -

Who will be arranging this Bulk Buy...

GMK,

It's just easier to order off the site. All orders above $50 don't incur postage. $69 is the all-up price. :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Jimmy.

Thanks for the link. Just bought one. $69 with fittings, 2 filters and free postage to Melbourne. Not bad. :beerbang:

Looks like I'm joining the bright beer club. :lol:

Warren -
[post="74221"][/post]​

Glad to be of assistance ;) ...they're a top mob to deal with! ...no affiliation etc

GMK said:
Who will be arranging this Bulk Buy...
[post="74258"][/post]​

You didnt but one while you were up here then Kenny??

Time..... the best beer filter ;)

I'm back. now officially able to brew "wife beater" beers
Asher for now

Asher said:
Time..... the best beer filter ;)

I'm back. now officially able to brew "wife beater" beers
Asher for now
[post="74274"][/post]​

Asher, sometimes time alone ain't enough ;-)

1007 German Ale Yeast.
Extremely poor flocculating yeast, generally remains significantly in suspension without treatment or filtration. Pad filtration is often difficult. Brewer's benefit from DE filtration or centrifuging. Maturation: Beers mature fairly rapid, even when cold fermentation is used.

Cheers :beer:

Ross,
How many litres of beer do you get through one filter?
cheers
Darren

jimmysuperlative said:
I saw this beer filter when I was browsing the hydrofil site for John Guest tubing.

[post="74179"][/post]​

Look exactly the same as mine. I bought mine from morebeer.com last year. I can't remember what I paid for it but I'm sure it was lots more :(

Darren said:
Ross,
How many litres of beer do you get through one filter?
cheers
Darren
[post="74286"][/post]​

Darren, They're supposed to be good for 500 gals (ie 100 kegs) - but not having filtered that much yet, I can't confirm it - at about $15 a cartridge, works out pretty cheap...

Back