Beer filter storage

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

The one thing that stops me from using my filter more often is the concern i have of introducing oxygen and infection due to filter contamination.
After just pulling out the filter Quality Craftbrewer one) to filter 40L into 2 kegs, i am wondering if i am better off just leaving the filter in the beer fridge ready for the next 40L in a weeks time as i would think that it is currently in a more sterile environment being cold, co2 and beer as opposed to cleaning, storing etc.
So, what am i risking by leaving the used filter ready for the next batch? Same beer btw, i make 6 to 7 cubes per batch.

Cheers Brad

I don't use my beer filter anymore Brad. Haven't bothered for many years after pining & saving for a beer filter just because everyone seemed to be using one at the time. ;)
Depending on what you want, all you need is time rather than filter, which seems (to me anyway) to strip aroma & flavour from the finished product.

Probably :icon_offtopic: but have been thinking about this for quite a while as I rarely no-chill.

If one was to go to all the time, effort, & expense of setting up a completely stainless brewery and a completely stainless fermentation process why would one no-chill into a plastic cube that possibly holds the wort for weeks on end or longer before transferring to (ss) fermenter, as it seems to me to defeat the very purpose of all the efforts that have gone before it?

Perhaps as Admin you can make this a new thread Brad?
My Bench top Saison that fermented out to 1.000 during the heatwave is getting to me mate. :lol:

Cold doesn't = sterile, even ice holds bacteria, took about 10 minutes for me to find that out after sucking on an ice cube made from water I was warned not to drink.

I used to use my craft brewer filter in lagers religiously , but even after starsan, purging with co2 , I recon some batches have gone south alittle after several weeks due to slight oxidation and/or contaniments etc...

I have noticed , my lagers that have been filtered, have been great for say 1 month, but then deteriorate alittle, my fined and natural ones have improved well into months. My 45 ltrs Doppelbock i did 4 months ago is just yum, had afew tonight and will cry when the keg blows.

I fine and cold store my lagers now for 2 weeks and this is a much better beer flavour and shelf wise, it's done under co2 pressure in kegs then transfered after 2 weeks to serving cornies where it's clean and clear as. Improves from there

I did find flavours especially my helles and Octoberfests lost alittle flavour after filter compared to my fined and aged ones. Not much on side by side comparisons but deff could pick it.

Storing the filter sealed up and full of beer from last batch in fridge, the filter would be full of crap from last batch and these flavours would transfer to next batch as well as if any contaminants were present.

I recon, you'd be better back flushing as normal , cleaning it all, starsan,shake it out abit and store in a freezer till next time .
I use my carbon filter, then shake out excess water and store it in freezer till next brew day. This will help stop bugs growing in the carbon . Just got to remember to pull it out a few hours before use to defrost .
If carbon filters , and nearly all filters that are not used continually they will get funky and cause issues . So if only used on brew days, use, shake out excess, freeze, the use again next brew day.

I use my craft brewer beer filter only if in a rush to get a lager on the week of a family gathering etc if I've run out of time getting the brew done el-natural, and the beer is going to be consumed that week...

Both ways work excellent, but time and cold storage nothing beats it.

I'd be worried that freezing a wet filter will ruin it. I'd expect the expanding ice to tear the filter media and as a result you could end up with channelling and much, much reduced filter efficiency.

peteru said:
I'd be worried that freezing a wet filter will ruin it. I'd expect the expanding ice to tear the filter media and as a result you could end up with channelling and much, much reduced filter efficiency.
Possibly, I've only been freezing my carbon brewing water filter like we do with the caravan ones in between trips it's a common practice with caravan filters which I've done for years.

No issues with it .

For the craftbrewer beer filter, I haven't tried freezing it as I clean it and leave it to air dry and put it away for its use , which is very rare now.

Cheers

Yeah, Brad, the used filter will grow mould, even at 4°C.
I worried about the exact same thing for a long time. Its better to clean and sanitise, let it fully dry out, them store it back in the filter housing, all closed up including the lines, with either disconnects or some other valve.
I leave it like this for months and its fine. If (and only if) it smells a bit stale when you open it, a quick rinse with tap water (if your supply is good) starsan and shake dry (as possible) is all you need. I typically run the first litre to waste post filter, pre keg.

peteru said:
Spot on peteru, freezing a wet filter will reduce it's efficiently dramatically.

Water freeze's and expands to 9%, this will rupture the membrane.

I wonder if it's bad for carbon ones?

I shake out all excess, then freeze. Then thaw it out in fridge day before brew day.
Have to do this with caravan one, as in between trips they get funky and cause people to get bad stomachs if drinking from them on next trip. Cartridges are too expensive to replace on each trip.

I've tasted my brewing water after each use and it still seems to be clearing the chlorine out good after each use. I replace it each 6 months anyway.

I can see how the beer 1 micron filter could be damaged.

Ok. Looks like what i currently do is better practice.
Rinse after use
Soak in sod perc
Rinse a few more times
Dry
Light spray with starsan
Put back in housing
A new final step will be to purge the filter and housing with CO2 for storage.
I do like the brightness of a filtered beer. Yes you can get nice clear beers with finings and lagering but filtering gives next level brightness but does have its downsides, as mentioned, But lets not open that old chestnut.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back