Beer Drinking - Am I Doing It Right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adraine

Reaction score
So I've just sat down to dinner with a lovely bottle of Murray's 2 Icon IPA and had a read of the back of the bottle. Now this is explains how there is sediment in the bottom of the bottle and it should always be stored upright and poured gently to get the best out of the beer.So here's where I must be going wrong, I have always poured the beer into my glass and with the last centimeter or so remaining in the bottle, given it a good swill around to loosen up the sediment and tipped the rest in the glass ending up with a cloudy beer.Most of the beers are either craft beers or European beers except for coopers pale which I always do it to.
So am I wrong? How do you drink your bottle conditioned beers?

Leave the last little bit in the bottle so I dont get yeast squirts

Not all yeast are pleasant to drink...

If in doubt, leave it behind. In this case, follow the brewer's advice!

It is personal preference. In Belgium, the barman will ask you if you want the yeast in or not.

Easy one to solve.
Get two of the same beer, swirl one to rouse the yeast, and be ever so gently on the second one to leave it all behind.
Now - Which one tastes better to you? Theres your answer.

The problem with this, is that you'll probably have to repeat this for every bottle conditioned beer ever. But that doesn't sound like a bad job. Get back to us with the results.

Didn't know there was a wrong way to do it at all.

Orval recommend not pouring the sediment, but to enjoy it after as a Vitamin B supplement.
http://www.orval.be/en/8/Brewery

Unless its an intentionally cloudy beer like a hefeweizen, I leave the sediment behind generally but often forget or am too crack handed to manage it

Maybe the yeast they use to bottle condition is a different yeast from fermentation and probably doesn't taste like anything but just makes the beer cloudy and because the beer, I imagine, is so resinous with hop haze it would seem a little to cloudy like a muddy sort of thing rather than just hop hazy.
Just a guess. I'll have to try one now to for curiosity purposes that is :)

I've never preferred the yeast mixed in. At our regular tastings the beer has to be superb before someone will deign to drink the trub leftover in the bottle.

Coopers is often put up as an example of a beer people prefer yeast in, but I think it is a bit different from most - the yeast is filtered out before conditioning (a small bit added back), and the yeast is so flocculent if you pour it all in a glass you end up with bright beer with tasteless flakes in it.

Ever noticed how nearly every bar person rolls the coopers stubby on the bench to rouse the yeast before serving? Man that shits me! I've always wondered who told them to do this? I'd much rather a glass and to leave the yeasties behind.

I've never preferred the yeast mixed in. At our regular tastings the beer has to be superb before someone will deign to drink the trub leftover in the bottle.

Coopers is often put up as an example of a beer people prefer yeast in, but I think it is a bit different from most - the yeast is filtered out before conditioning (a small bit added back), and the yeast is so flocculent if you pour it all in a glass you end up with bright beer with tasteless flakes in it.

Varies from beer to beer, I like the yeast in a Coopers Sparkling but dont like it in a Pale Ale.
Had my first Westmalle recently and poured with the yeast and probably shouldny have.....have to buy another to try.

Does coopers in kegs have yeast in it?

Ever noticed how nearly every bar person rolls the coopers stubby on the bench to rouse the yeast before serving? Man that shits me! I've always wondered who told them to do this? I'd much rather a glass and to leave the yeasties behind.

This is the way Coopers recommend....any good barman will do it, you have to ask for them not too, which often gets a weird look.... :(

Coopers do...
It's designed to be drunk with the yeast mixed in

And yes coopers kegs have yeast in them
Don't ask how i know...

Coopers do recommend it but I think the beer suffers for it. I invariably leave yeast behind in bottle conditioned beers, including my own. I ocassionally try the yeast shot but rarely rate it as well as the sediment free stuff.
That said - the only way you could be drinking it wrong is if you miss your mouth. Your beer, your preference, your rules.
Recommendations from brewers differ as specified above but you are entitled to disagree.

If you need a good laxative then drink the yeast.

Personally I don't drink it and if somebody rolls it I ask them to get me another and not roll it.

:icon_cheers:

I dont mind yeast. You get used to it after a while I think I can drink a ale that looks like a wheat beer now and be fine :p at first it was a bit sketchy :lol:

Latest posts

Back