Beer Dogs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My beer dog story: in parks all over Prague (at least in summer) they have mobile bars setup so that you can grab a beer while you're sitting in the park. Which i thought was just bloody awesome! Anyway some of these bars also sell beer for dogs so that you can have a beer with your best mate, which curiously was one euro more expensive than the beer for humans. It's got me thinking; what is this dog beer? Does it contain alcohol? Can humans drink it? I should have asked then but I didn't.

Who the hell brews dog beer?

_DSC0604.JPG _DSC0605.JPG

My 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Ruby and Boomer. Sleeping is what they do best, with the occasional burst of energy on brew day just to keep me on my toes.
They seem to think that tear arseing through the brew area whilst I am sparging and then running horribly close to my hops, is hilarious.

My above bull terrier is deaf.....My family seems to be stricken with a syndrome where we all get the animals no one wants. In my case friends were breeding them and she was deaf and couldn't be sold. So........Anyway, after 12 years I'm amazed by people who can tell their dogs to "Stay" or "Come" and don't have to gesture wildly. I doubt there's a more stubborn animal in the world than a deaf bull terrier.

^^^^Ohh, there's nothing more dangerous than a ridgey's tail flying around at full excitment. It's like they're set up specifically to whack you in the nuts.

hahah some good pics in here!

Here's my brew dog Lucy. She is my missus dog, which I wasnt really a fan of. But she's grown on me quite alot :) She's about 2, and is an Australian Koolie with the Sable merle colouring. Unfortunately, the gene responsible for her striking markings is also responsible for deafness and blindness. She is deaf as a post. I have taught her hand signals and she is pretty good with those, however have difficulties taking her places as she cant hear commands to come back etc? I've found some collars which vibrate and rumble etc via remote control for this purpose but they are wicked dear (>$300) so if anyone has any ideas I'd welcome them.

That said.
She regularly makes a nuisance of herself around brewing related areas by investigating the fermenters, eating old grain and just generally getting in the way.
Sleeping before I woke her up. She is easily snuck up on.
View attachment 57361

All buggered after helping me with a batch
View attachment 57362

Making herself dirty after a bath and laying in the sun. Like others, I'm sure they'll be some sun related growths removed from her in later life.
View attachment 57363

Overall though she is awesome, despite sometimes being a bit of a burden with the hearing, I wouldnt trade her for anything.

I hear you loud and clear (Ironically). I grew up with a deaf labrador. We got him as a pup, paid good money for him, got him checked out cos he wasnt reacting to noise. They said you can swap him for a dog that can hear and we will euthenise him or you can keep him and have your money back. So we kept him. Helluva dog and worth the effort. I am a firm believer in you only get out dogs what you put into them. Will post up some of my brew mutts when I get the chance to go through my photo album.

ok this is my ferocious beast.

she is almost 6 now and is the toughest little thing most people have seen.
she has had 3 lots of surgery to fix a shunt that bypassed the liver, she is the healthiest sick dog ever seen.
she is my little shadow.
as a pup
495958694_80f989f6ee_o-1.jpg

06052007002.jpg

in her normal position of a night, when she isnt on my lap.

07032011087_zps25f54d9d.jpg

guarding the hops

IMG_1073_zps2b5e27fe.jpg

heres the look of complete innocence ie what sand pit, i havent been in the sand pit.
12092007064.jpg

I dont have any photos relating to my dog and brewing, but here is a few of my boy Sunny! Hes always hanging around somewhere when I am brewing, waiting for me to spill some wort so he can lick it up or eating the spent grain out of the compost!2012_01_15_08.42.35.jpg2012_09_02_16.18.39.jpg2012_08_24_19.51.03.jpg2012_09_04_10.12.46.jpg

EExcellent timing on the poop photo!

no its the "come and clean this up look closely followed by the "whos the smart one look as you do.

phoneyhuh, its carbonated beef stock but dont know who makes it.

My above bull terrier is deaf.....My family seems to be stricken with a syndrome where we all get the animals no one wants. In my case friends were breeding them and she was deaf and couldn't be sold. So........Anyway, after 12 years I'm amazed by people who can tell their dogs to "Stay" or "Come" and don't have to gesture wildly. I doubt there's a more stubborn animal in the world than a deaf bull terrier.

^^^^Ohh, there's nothing more dangerous than a ridgey's tail flying around at full excitment. It's like they're set up specifically to whack you in the nuts.

That made me laugh, stubborn alright, mine would never hear me if they didnt want too, a deaf one raises the bar.

hahah some good pics in here!
Here's my brew dog Lucy. She is my missus dog, which I wasnt really a fan of. But she's grown on me quite alot :) She's about 2, and is an Australian Koolie with the Sable merle colouring. Unfortunately, the gene responsible for her striking markings is also responsible for deafness and blindness. She is deaf as a post. I have taught her hand signals and she is pretty good with those, however have difficulties taking her places as she cant hear commands to come back etc? I've found some collars which vibrate and rumble etc via remote control for this purpose but they are wicked dear (>$300) so if anyone has any ideas I'd welcome them.
Overall though she is awesome, despite sometimes being a bit of a burden with the hearing, I wouldnt trade her for anything. quote]

When taking my dog for walks, i'd always make him stop and sit prior to crossing the road by putting my hand where he could see it, & when calling him i'd bend over a bit & pat my thigh. i didn't consciously realise i was doing this, but I remember losing my voice when my dog was a year or so old, & i realised in amazement that i didn't even need to say anything to him- as long as i did the action he was happy to do what i wanted.

He went completely blind within a year after that ( for a period of 6 months or so, prior to eye surgery), but was completely happy still going for walks. Good leash control with a series of pulls/tugs/lifts to indicate what's required is helpful. He ended up completely blind & deaf eventually, but it wasn't really a problem. A few drops of different essential oils in different parts of the house on specific items of furniture can help navigation, & help regain their sense of direction after a sleep etc.

You're right, it's a lot of extra work looking after 'lesser-abled' dogs, but for a smart dog such as yours she should adapt pretty easily & it's up to you to train yourself how best to help her! Very worthwhile & rewarding for such awesome animals...

My dog, Milly. She's a New Zealand Huntaway and a rescue dog. We got her from a farm when she was eight months old. Skinny as a rake and very timid as she'd been abused. We've fed her up and given her a loving home and she's become a beautiful companion. Very loyal and very protective.

Milly_01.jpg

Milly_02.jpg

here is my girl Sully, ridgback cross rottie just over a year old and when she is not fast asleep, which she usually is, must be the ridgeback in her, she is my shadow. first on is at 10 weeks.
IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

Back