Beer disconnects leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi 🙋 I have a transfer tube, 2 beer disconnects on each end. Both are leaking on both kegs. Happened at the same time. I changed O ring on one keg outlet and still leaking. I thought they might have gone past use by date, but then I thought perhaps they need clean, could help. Do they have a time life or is it a clean needed. I actually had a leak on a gas disconnect but changed O ring and that worked.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hey mate.

When you say leak, is it leaking from the post on the kegs, or around the top lip of the disconnect or through the top part where you screw it closed?

You can (and should) open them up and clean them every once in a while. You unscrew the top part, pull out the internals and give em a clean. A little lubrifilm on the orings helps, you can replace those if they are worn.

Often a disconnect leaks due to the oring on the keg posts. This can get a flat spot. They are easy to pop off, I find if you pinch and squish to one side, you can often get it to "bow" out on one side and can hook your fingernail and pop it off. Then a small smear of lubrifilm on a new one and see if that helps.

I change the orings out probably every dozen or so uses. They are cheap to buy, and nothing worse than a leak.

Thanks
from the post, when its on...probably needs a clean... I should put lube in there now and again, especially the o rings thanks

I have put them in a bath of hot water and cleaner, cheers

Also if you thinking of referbing a keg, buy a kit and do every o-ring and replace the poppets in the posts.

Also buy yourself a small awl, makes getting o-rings off a bit easier, most cheap precision screwdriver sets have them.

Latest posts

Back