Beer Cordial!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishard

Reaction score
G'day all,

Some of you may have read how I complained about one fo my brews being flat....well for those new to brewing like me take heart.

After 14 days in the bottle I tried one of my beers (2nd brew) it was the worst thing I have ever tasted I wanted to throw it out on the spot, flat life less etc. I could pour it from a height of 2 feet and still not get a head. Well after reading here and other places I decided not to give up.......Igave the bottles a shake and kept them a 21c for an other week in a box! It's now about a month after I bottled it and wow what a difference.........it now heads up great and the taste has improve out of site.

i know after reading alot of everyones posts you may be saying.......yeah tell us something we didn't kown.............but this is to give us newbees some hope!

The moral to this story.........Don't drink green beer..HEHEHEHE! (Gee its hard not 2)
Anyway I think I am starting to understand R.D.W.H.A.H.B

Cheers Russ

My interpretation is, brew lots and lots of alcohol so you can let it age a long time before drinking. I dont tend to hop into a brew until 2-3 months in the bottle. I have bout 50L beer in long term storage (8-10months) and about 100-130L in medium term storage (3-6 months). It is worth it in the long run. The only problem is finding places to hide the bottles :)

Some of my brews are ready to drink early - my porter i like to drink around 2-3 weeks after primary fermentation has finished.

I find that kit brews take forever to age, partial or full mash ales seem to age much quicker.

jgriffin said:
Some of my brews are ready to drink early - my porter i like to drink around 2-3 weeks after primary fermentation has finished.

I find that kit brews take forever to age, partial or full mash ales seem to age much quicker.
Something I hadn't given a lot of thought before now but it does seem to me that my AG brews age quicker.

on the subject of newbie misadventure, let me relate this cautionary tale ...

got a Grumpy's masterbrew the other week, and having surveyed a lot of threads, determined that I'd better put the contents of the grain and dry adjunct bag in a lingerie bag for the boil - mistake no. 1. The reason for this was that my collander is wider than the opening on my fermenter, so pouring it through would get very messy and wasteful. As a result, I didn't get very good efficiency from the boil. (I'm assured that cold conditioning and racking are sufficient to get rid of any floaties from the boil.)

Mistake no. 2: when bulk priming I dissolved my dextrose in about 500mL of water - I usually do it in about 250mL. Usually this wouldn't bother me a lot - but since the boil efficiency was down a bit I should have short-poured the fermenter (making up to about 20L, not 23-24) but didn't - and now I was further diluting the stuff!

So, a few stuff-ups which could have been easily avoided if I'd thought about it. the main effect will probably be beer which is a little more bland than it should be, but hopefully the bottle conditioning should enhance it some. Before priming it wasn't unpleasant, just a bit ... plain.

Boil efficiency as such you don't really have with a Grumpy's Masterbrew, the idea of a gentle 10 minute simmer is just to extract the flavour, colour and aroma of the specialty grains, dissolve the malt and sugars and infuse flavour and aroma from the finishing hops.

Dissolving your priming sugar in 500ml is quite OK, it then mixes in easier into your brew and a small amount of alcohol is also derived from the prime.

If every thing else has gone well then the Grumpy Masterbrew has enough flavour to stretch that extra litre or 2.

tdh

Latest posts

Back