beer conditioning in keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfroes

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have finished a pale ale here that has poor head retention as i forgot to put some wheat or rolled oats or something.
I was thinking on adding the "coopers brew enhancer 2" (which is a mixture of 500g dextrose 250 light malt extract and 250 maltodextrin) as priming sugars inside the keg say about 130-150g.
what are your thoughts? it's a very dry pale, so the small amount of maltodextrin wouldn't be a problem.

Wheat or oats is the HBT solution for head retention. A healthy ferment is the best thing for it. How long has it been in the keg?

Wheat or oats is the HBT solution for head retention. A healthy ferment is the best thing for it. How long has it been in the keg?
just about a day or so
yeah i totally forgot to put them in. so it hold for like 1 minute and then no head anymore.

Did you force carb the keg?
Could be your glassware too. Any soapy residue will make poor head retention.

Sorry should have explained better. You dont need wheat or oats in your beer for good head retention. Look at a pilsner. It only has 1 malt. Like mattyh said, make sure your glass has no soap at all on it and if you forced carbed it and its only a day or 2 in the keg, I would leave it another 5 or 6 days and then see how it is. Force carbing can make for some big bubbles at first that disappear quickly. After it settles a bit the bubbles will get smaller and make a better foam.

I dont think another small fermentation in the keg will improve it.

So i have tried re-washing the glasses and rinsing again and again, even with a bottle brush to try to get all that soap out.
after that i have rinsed again on hot water to try to get rid of any residues on the glass.
a lot better but still not good enough (for my liking), now i just don't know if it was the extra time conditioning on the keg, or if it was the extra rinsing.
well, it still tastes good and i'll be drinking it anyways.
Thanks for the tips

Back