Beer Color Calcs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Ok there must be some resident experts out there on the subject. I am looking at Cyberbrau and how accurate its colors are compared with promash and there is a discrepancy.

Essentially it uses the SRM calc [Weight*Color(L)/Vol] which I believe is not bad under 10SRM ...

Anyway does anyone have a good site on calculatingg colors using various methods (or just type it here). What equation should be used and when?

What color units do you prefer, looks like EBC = SRM/1.97 so providing SRM & EBC should be easy.

Flex those cranial muscles! :ph34r:

Ok colour is determined by a standard mash consisting of 50g in 500mL of wort and then measured by a standard absorbtion method.

so there is a factor of (500mL/50g) = 10
that you need to incorporate.

then you need to determine the amount of grains multiplied by its colour then divide it by the volume.

thus:

(grain weight(kg) x grain colour (EBC))/ volume (L).
then multiplied by 10.

so: 5kg of IMC Pils in 20L =
((5 x 2.9) / 20) x 10 = 7.25 EBC beer.

forgot to add a caveat:
That is it's theoretical colour.
Variations in the maltsters batches (coloured malts can be 20% either side of their average spec sheet), intensity of boil, other additives can all vary the colour.

Hows that is that what your after?
I put this in my guide aswell.

jayse

Back