Beer Chillers / Glycol Systems / Icebanks.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431neb

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm the proud owner of a RIO 20 icebank system and I was wondering if there is anyone with experience with these systems.

The one I have was used in a bar but I want to utilise it in my home bar that consists of a 5 tap flooded font and a temperature controlled freezer to house my cornies that is a couple of metres away.

The large pumped outlet is a no brainer to flood the font and the product lines are pretty obvious but I'm a little confused about how often to run the thing. I ran it for a few hours last weekend and it formed a ring of ice around the perimeter of the storage tank and did a nice job of keeping the font cool. I don't think it is intended to run all the time so my question is this. Do people simply turn it on if and when they intend to use the bar? I noticed that is has stayed cold for a few days subsequent to it's first use so I presume it would still do it job but from weekend to weekend it might struggle. Do others run the unit during the week (perhaps via a timer?) in order to maintain the "ice-bank" and is there any point in adding glycol to the tank?

Apologies for the questions. I have no experience with these systems and have been unable to find any technical information or instructions.

This might be a good time to add any information that differentiates between icebanks and other systems if anyone can be bothered. I know I've struggled with some of these ideas during my searches.

Thanks.

Hey mate I was looking at buying one of these and since you have one how do you find it?

G'day mate.

Those units are designed to run all the time.

There is a probe that is situated at a determined spot fairly close to the evaporator coil (the copper coils that ice up and form the ice bank.) When it detects the ice, it shuts down the refrigeration compressor. If there is no load on the unit, you will find that the unit cycles very slowly. The compressor should only kick in a few of times a day when idle. Flooding the fount picks up a bit of heat, and this is what will cause the compressor to run. If you were to turn the unit off once a full ice bank is formed, it should take quite a few days to thaw, as the tank is so well insulated.

You should never put glycol in these units because it lowers the freeze point of the solution in the tank, meaning that an ice bank will never form, and the probe that detects the ice will tell the compressor to keep running until it blows up. (there is no thermal overload protection in the RIO units.)

The agitator / pump is designed to run 24 / 7 and draws bugger all power. Depending on load, it should be much cheaper to run than a household fridge.

Down at the bottom of the unit, you will see a condenser coil which looks a bit like a car radiator. You would be doing the unit a big favour if this is kept clean of dust and particles by either vacuuming or gently brushing the fins, Take care not to bend the fins as this will impede much needed air flow. And obviously, do not place anything closer than about 100 mm to the coil.

Last edited:
haha - 5 taps, flooded font and chiller....

Youve certianly stepped up since that big arse black fridge with taps in the door I bought off you a few years ago.

Pnutapper can I give you a call to discuss this please cheers

I run 3 of these. Putnaper has nailed it. The only thing he didnt mention is the water treatment. You can get a growth inhibitor to keep the water nice from week to week..

I run 3 of these. Putnaper has nailed it. The only thing he didnt mention is the water treatment. You can get a growth inhibitor to keep the water nice from week to week..
This is correct. There are ice bank conditioners available on the market. You just need to be careful about the product you use. I have seen some products that will lower the freeze point of the bath, meaning that the compressor needs to work harder to achieve an ice bank.

Hey Guys
I have just bought an ice bank chiller which does around 20 odd kg of ice.
I have it connected to my SS brewtech BrewMaster Edition 60L fermenter to control temp and to crash chill. Brilliant and the compressor doesn't seem to come on often.

Pnutapper did offer some great advice.
The electrodes that detect the ice do so by measuring conductivity and some use pressure sensors. I dont think there would be any harm in using glycol in these units but since the ice measuring probes wont work, you will need to plug the unit into a STC1000 type temp controller and place temp sensor in the solution. You will need to perhaps add a seperate switch for the agitator though.
I'm assuming this is how the hybrid icebank/glycol chillers work.

I would like to know a little more about the water additive to stop it going rank. Please can you give details McKenry.

Cheers

Hey Guys
I have it connected to my SS brewtech BrewMaster Edition 60L fermenter to control temp and to crash chill. Brilliant and the compressor doesn't seem to come on often.

The electrodes that detect the ice do so by measuring conductivity and some use pressure sensors. I dont think there would be any harm in using glycol in these units but since the ice measuring probes wont work, you will need to plug the unit into a STC1000 type temp controller and place temp sensor in the solution. You will need to perhaps add a seperate switch for the agitator though.

I would like to know a little more about the water additive to stop it going rank. Please can you give details McKenry.

Cheers
Essentially, there are 2 probes in them.

When operated as an icebank unit:
The thermostat will be energised continuously and use to display the bath temperature. The refrigeration system will be controlled by the icebank coverage of the probe.

When operated as a Glycol unit:
The thermostat in conjunction with the Hydra control will control the refrigeration and display the tank temperature. The icebank / level control will be energised continuously to provide low tank level protection.

For both systems, the liquid line probe from the Hydra control provides High Temp protection for the refrigeration system.

*Copy paste from Lancer Polaris Manual*

As for ice bank water bath conditioners... I know that during my time as a service contractor for one of the larger manufacturers of dispensing equipment - use of these products voided warranty.
Draining the tank and scrubbing twice a year is usually more than enough to keep the bath clean. Depending on how you are set up, it is not really such a big job either. But that is just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• 013aPolarisBeerSuperchiller230V50HzManual051113.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Hey Guys

Cheers

Hi Hawko777,

Can I ask where you brought your ice bank from?

I'm looking to buy one for my brewmaster fermenter to control my temp.

Nugg3t

Hi Hawko777,

Can I ask where you brought your ice bank from?

I'm looking to buy one for my brewmaster fermenter to control my temp.

Nugg3t

Incidentally, according to SS brewtech's support when I emailed them a monthish ago, they're releasing a version of their glycol chiller in AUS quote-unquote "soon"

I'm considering selling mine as I just don't have the space - in brissy if anyone interested

Incidentally, according to SS brewtech's support when I emailed them a monthish ago, they're releasing a version of their glycol chiller in AUS quote-unquote "soon"

Cheeky peak are selling a glycol unit for a grand.
I read that the ss one cant even crash 2 60 litre chronicles.

Back