• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Beer Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Response from Coopers:

"G’day Grahame,
Both PET and single-use glass bottles are porous, so beer stored in these bottles for an extended period of time (two years or more), will eventually oxidise and go flat. This is not a good result when you’ve put all that effort into brewing a big beer and waited patiently for two or three before opening one. Because heavier bottles such as our 750ml commercial ale bottles are much thicker, they will slow this process down considerably, allowing you to age Imperial Stouts and barley wines for years in cellar conditions.
Cheers, Frank."

Interesting that oxygen ingress via the crown seal isn't mentioned, but "cellar conditions" are stipulated.

Well Grahame
Interesting trivia, & valid token made by yourself re :"....Crown seal..." when I use to make cider in 42 gallon whiskey barrels I was forever topping up due to evapouration ....but to read Coopers reply does make me think who has the patience to store beer that long let alone porosity of glass ..... strange & thanx with the revelation

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back