Beer Bin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
I needed to serve kegged beer at my sister's wedding (which was yesterday), MB's portable setup was being used at ANHC and hire of a temprite may not have been cost-effective ... so I made a bar-on-wheels or Beer Bin.

Large wheelie-bin:
beerbin1.jpg

(Known in some suburbs are a 'recycle bin')

About $5 worth of DAR-Pine from the BigGreenShed:
beerbin2.jpg

My very basic woodworking skills:
beerbin3.jpg

... lots of screws, some beer-line and 4x $30 KegKing taps:
beerbin4.jpg

4 corny kegs fit inside the bin perfectly, with a bag or two of ice to keep them at temperature:
beerbin5.jpg

German Lagers at the bottom in the ice, English Bitter strategically situated above the ice.

Drip tray and a few labels:
beerbin6.jpg

Labels were made at the Labeley website the night before the wedding and printed/laminated at OfficeWorks.

$2/box glasses:
2dollarglasses.jpg

Total cost was about the same as the cheapest temprite hire I could find, but now we have a bar-on-wheels Beer Bin and pint-glasses for future parties, BBQ, case-swap, picnics etc.

good job. long term that timber will warp and bend especially in the sun. seal it real good. :beerbang:

Now that I have some time to relax, I'll give it a few coats of varnish stuff that I have here.
With the beer-engine arriving only days before the wedding, I was not sure exactly how the beer was going to be served, so I didn't have time to build it and paint it before the big day.

... if anyone local is having a party/etc and wants to borrow it, just let me know ... likely will only get used a few times each year.

nice effort, i did something similar for a mates wedding, no bin for the kegs but made up a board for the taps and made wooden tap handles with the beers on them.
Beer_taps.jpg

where did you get the glasses ? for $2 for 4 I'll need to restock.

where did you get the glasses ? for $2 for 4 I'll need to restock.
$2 Shop (the one at Fountain Gate near Woolworths) - they still had a shelf full when I was there on Friday.

Nice work!

One of the previous clubs I was in had a custom keg esky made out of cold room panels and could fit three kegs. With two bags of ice it would keep the beer cold for 3 days, that is if the beer would last that long :)

If anyone is looking for an el-cheapo keg jacket, Super Cheap have a $10 camping mat which is a perfect size: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-st...283#Description It wraps around a 19L keg twice and does a bloody good job of insulating the keg.

Also, I wish all weddings had beer like this on tap!!!

Wolfy... how long did the kegs retain a decent temp?... I assume the bin was under cover/in the shade. Also did you seal the top of the bin or was half left open?

Nice build.

Seeing as we are showing off :D , here is my mobile contraption that I made a few of weeks ago.

It has proved to be very popular at the parties I have taken it to, although I found I spend most of the night discussing home brewing, which isn't a bad thing.

keger1.jpgkeger_2.jpg

Wolfy... how long did the kegs retain a decent temp?... I assume the bin was under cover/in the shade. Also did you seal the top of the bin or was half left open?
It was in the shade under a big tree, I'll cover the other 1/2 of the top with some MDF when I paint it, but not sure it will make much difference.

The kegs were fridge-temp before going into the bin, and 2-3 bags of ice to hold them at a that temp through the duration of the wedding.
Another 2 bags of ice to keep cool over night (up in the hills) and then 2-3 the next day to chill for serving.

Latest posts

Back