Beer Battered Onion Rings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a really good recipe?

I made some hastily that I found in a magazine that was basically flour beer and onion. They were ok but lacked something flavour wise.

Is there a good source on the web for beer relating cooking (other than Mercs cook book which I hope to get a hold of soon).

Add a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (depending on taste) of szechuan pepper to your flour (hopefully self raising) if your using plain flour add 1/2 of baking powder and make sure your beer is cold when you add it to the flour ,Cut your onion rings 1-2cm thick and make sure you oil is hot 180 degrees roughly and use new clean oil test your oil one of two ways Place the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil. The oil is ready when bubbles begin to appear around the tip of the handle. or with a piece of bread drop it in and if it browns within 20 seconds your good to go.

Add a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (depending on taste) of szechuan pepper to your flour (hopefully self raising) if your using plain flour add 1/2 of baking powder and make sure your beer is cold when you add it to the flour ,Cut your onion rings 1-2cm thick and make sure you oil is hot 180 degrees roughly and use new clean oil test your oil one of two ways Place the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil. The oil is ready when bubbles begin to appear around the tip of the handle. or with a piece of bread drop it in and if it browns within 20 seconds your good to go.

Thanks for that, sounds great. Do you want the beer to foam when adding it to the flour or add it gently ?
I didnt have a thermometer to test the oil (the recipe suggested 180c also) is it a problem if the oil is too hot?

the beer doesnt need to foam but you dont want to knock to much of the co2 out of the beer thats what will improve the batter and get it light so just a gentle mix dont worry if there are lumps they will fall of the onion rings before you put them in the oil . only problem if the oil is too hot is that the onion will still be raw and the batter too crispy try the bread method i mentioned and it should be ok. if the oil smokes (not steams) at all drop the heat

For the batter, use a 50/50 mixture of self raising flour and real cornflour (a lot of "cornflour" these days is made from wheat, so use what's called gluten free cornflour, which is real cornflour).

Add beer and mix to a smooth batter consistency.

Season to taste with salt and pepper, but better still I season the batter with Massel Chicken Style Stock Powder, which is vegetarian (that's why it's Chicken Style Stock), MSG free, gluten free etc... Quite a good product that is available at all supermarkets.

I also add a pinch of tumeric powder for a golden colour.

This is a great beer batter that can be used for anything deep fried, such as fish, onion rings, potato scallops, prawns etc... just toss in flour, dip in the batter, drain a little bit and fry.

Try adding yeast and let it stand for an hour or two Ive done this with fish batter, it was really tasty, crispy and clings well (to the fish). Bakers yeast I mean not US-05. But maybe US- 05 could be Harts secret ingredient?

All good suggestions! You dont mention what onions you use? I would use red onion or spanish onions (same thing) they are lovely and sweet when cooked. I use rice flour as that makes the batter when cooked super crispy. As for for seasoning the flour that is up to you and you can do pretty much anything you want until you find a combination that works. I made Sechuan beer battered flathead for dinner last night (recipe is in my book) - rice flour, pilsner, pinch of white pepper, salt and sechuan pepper (dry toasted first then ground) my wife had never had it before and was totally impressed and believe me she is not easily impressed!

Keep it really simple and just do flour, salt, beer and a tablespoon or two of curry powder....... really too many ideas and ways....mmm onion rings tonight for a snack with my beer!

All good suggestions! You dont mention what onions you use? I would use red onion or spanish onions (same thing) they are lovely and sweet when cooked. I use rice flour as that makes the batter when cooked super crispy. As for for seasoning the flour that is up to you and you can do pretty much anything you want until you find a combination that works. I made Sechuan beer battered flathead for dinner last night (recipe is in my book) - rice flour, pilsner, pinch of white pepper, salt and sechuan pepper (dry toasted first then ground) my wife had never had it before and was totally impressed and believe me she is not easily impressed!

Keep it really simple and just do flour, salt, beer and a tablespoon or two of curry powder....... really too many ideas and ways....mmm onion rings tonight for a snack with my beer!

Slightly off topic, but related in all but the onions, I wonder whether you could substitute a beer batter for breadcrumbs for scotched eggs? I made a batch a couple of weekends ago, and reckon this could be one decadent bite. Maybe with quail eggs?

Classic Scotch eggs
Makes 6
Prep: 30 min
Cook: 10 min
Ingredients
100g day-old sourdough-style bread with crusts
8 medium eggs
Flour for dusting
12 pork chipolatas (340g)
2 rashers rindless, smoked, streaky bacon
1 small lemon
2 tsp finely chopped thyme leaves
4 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
5 sage leaves
Good crack of salt and pepper

Pretty much as Kungfutigerrob said:
Beer battered eschallot rings might be nice? Maybe try Tempura flour and cold beer. Wheat flour + Corn flour/rice flour or get a packet of tempura flour from an Asian grocery store. You don't want the batter to be too cloying or thick on onion rings. Tempura flour is thinner and crispy and works great with beer instead of cold soda/sparkling water. Shove a heap of other vegies in the batter too and it's a great thing. Swiss brown or shitake mushrooms, brocolli and zuchini are my favourites.
Oil that is too hot could be a problem especially when doing small batches as the drips and dribbles will burn in the oil. By the same token oil that is not hot enough won't give the instant puff and crisp to the batter and will end up being a goey oily item that's not nice to eat.

To use up the left over batter I also chucked a pickle and a slice of cheese in.. must say they were pretty tasty (wife didnt seem to interested in trying them though :p)
The batter I use was nice and crispy but I think the pepper etc would make a big improvement and will try the rice flour if I happen to find a place selling it (Is this an asian supermarket thing?)

To use up the left over batter I also chucked a pickle and a slice of cheese in.. must say they were pretty tasty (wife didnt seem to interested in trying them though :p )
The batter I use was nice and crispy but I think the pepper etc would make a big improvement and will try the rice flour if I happen to find a place selling it (Is this an asian supermarket thing?)

You may even find tempura flour in the 'asian' area at YOUR Wooolies, most probably rice flour too.
Mmmm deep fried cheese :icon_drool2:

rice flour is standard supermarket stock. it just comes in smaller sizes. I know mckenzies make a rice flour. I use rice flour to make middle eastern deserts etc

To use up the left over batter I also chucked a pickle and a slice of cheese in.. must say they were pretty tasty (wife didnt seem to interested in trying them though :p)

As said you will find rice flour in any supermarket - good one - and it comes in a small red box 375g worth and has a picture of what look like short bread biscuits on the front.

As said you will find rice flour in any supermarket - good one - and it comes in a small red box 375g worth and has a picture of what look like short bread biscuits on the front.

Thanks for that shopping tonight so will look around for some.

Back