Beer and Gas Line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderman

Reaction score
Just buying the last of what's required for my keezer build and I'm a little stumped with the choice of beer line. Seems there is 4mm, 5mm and 6mm beer line to choose from. Can't really find much information on it. Using perlick 650ss.

So I will get less resistance the wider the length. Does that matter with flow control taps?

My understanding is that flow control allows you to adjust the resistance.

One would assume that if you are already in the ball park then the flow control would have to "control" less.

Don't quote me but I think 5-6mm line at a minimum of 2 metres is where most start without flow control.

Even with flow control extra length isn't an issue, it's just messier inside the keg fridge.

Thanks for the formulas. I was I've got beer length covered but was curious about the line width. It seems most people use 5mm so I'll just go with that.

Ciderman said:
Just buying the last of what's required for my keezer build and I'm a little stumped with the choice of beer line. Seems there is 4mm, 5mm and 6mm beer line to choose from. Can't really find much information on it. Using perlick 650ss.
I'm running this
When I was using the four Florytes on my kegerator, I had to use around 4m of line. Keg carbed @70kpa, fridge temp @2degC & I still struggled with foaming issues. Usually on the first pour & it settles down after that but if you didn't pour again for a half hour or so, foaming again was a problem. It's mainly due to the faucet heating up to room temp. It's not a big problem but it annoys me. I have since changed out three of those taps to Perlick 650ss flow controls & I am using 1m of the same line with no issues at all. The flow control will allow you to adjust the resistance so you can basically use the shortest amount of line that your comfortable with.

Crusty said:
I'm running this
When I was using the four Florytes on my kegerator, I had to use around 4m of line. Keg carbed @70kpa, fridge temp @2degC & I still struggled with foaming issues. Usually on the first pour & it settles down after that but if you didn't pour again for a half hour or so, foaming again was a problem. It's mainly due to the faucet heating up to room temp. It's not a big problem but it annoys me. I have since changed out three of those taps to Perlick 650ss flow controls & I am using 1m of the same line with no issues at all. The flow control will allow you to adjust the resistance so you can basically use the shortest amount of line that your comfortable with.
I have that problem too, I just try to get back to the tap before half hour passes :chug:

I use 5mm line with flow control taps, but it isn't critical. 4mm is a bitch to get on barbs and I find it can also be difficult to get a good fit on JG fittings (don't seem to push in all the way for some reason). 6mm kinks too easily, hence i use 5mm and a short length (30cm) just enough to get to my kegs.

I use 5mm line to Perlick 525's with no flow control and have no foaming issues.

I used the spreadsheet above to calculate the required length of line and have never had a problem.

If I do want a little more or less head on the beer I just tweak the regulator to suit.

Back