Beer and checked luggage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
4 x carbonated PETs full of beer in a suitcase with Xmas presents in a Jetstar cargo hold. What could go wrong? Anyway, anyone done this? Will it be a problem?

They go boom, you get arrested and sent to jail for being a terrorist.

They go boom and your lugage gets soaked in beer.

Nothing happens, which is most likely the case

Ducatiboy stu said:
Nothing happens, which is most likely the case
Yeah I think/hope so too - thought I'd see what people here thought because there would be a dim view taken by my partner if we did have a beersplosion.

sunovagun said:
Safer option I'd assume is to take them with your carry on
Can you do this? I know the US relaxed the liquids rule, but thought ours was still in place.

Liquid rule is for international flights, but not domestic, so depends on you destination.

I travel regularly with beer in my suitcase in the hold, PETs, glass bottles, 5L minikegs. Never had any problems whatsoever, but might depend on your packing skills especially with glass.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with hand luggage (domestic only) unless you have reached your checked baggage allowance. Stick it in your suitcase and travel light.

You can't take them as carry-on but there is no issue checking them and having them in the hold. I do this frequently.

Cheers gents, sounds like it'll be fine in the hold, and if not, well who wouldn't want mosaic/Amarillo scented clothes for Xmas?!

Best bet is to put them in your boogie board bag and hope for the best...........

Prince Imperial said:
4 x carbonated PETs full of beer in a suitcase with Xmas presents in a Jetstar cargo hold. What could go wrong? Anyway, anyone done this? Will it be a problem?
I checked in a 10 litre cube of real ale and flew to Hong Kong once, I had only casked it the night before un-primed and it swelled almost too bursting point. I think PET bottles will be fine.

I took 6 PET bottles of a lovely IPA to my brothers house flying from Melb to Townsville with no issues

I had shitloads of spare room in my suit case and the silly barstard only ever has xxxx in his fridge, so I thought, why the **** not!, lol

Prince Imperial said:
That is bona fide awesome SE
It probably wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve done, or the dumbest as it happens and I now sort of regret mentioning it while trying to promote using cubes as casks on another thread.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

A few years back I was working on a development on Hamilton Island and I packed about 15 PET beer bottles into a suitcase for the flight up there and they all survived.

Beer arrived safe and sound, I also tweeted at Jetstar who said they'd have been fine as carry-on too. Now to design a label for "Anthrax pale ale"

I checked in a 10 litre cube of real ale and flew to Hong Kong once, I had only casked it the night before un-primed and it swelled almost too bursting point.

I've often thought if I worked in a temp controlled place like the local shopping plaza I'd take along cream cheese that's in the process of culturing, as it loves room temperature (about 25 degrees). Yeast is a bit more of a wintry sort, loving the 16-20 degree range - and it's harder to hide demijohns than a small bag or jar of cheese - but then again 25 degrees wouldn't be enough to cause major damage. It'd be a similar deal on a plane, I guess. Wouldn't want to be the one to ask a passenger if they'd mind if I suspended a bag of lactobacilli over their heads while it dripped whey into a pot below though.

Anyway, this is quite helpful information. I was wondering recently whether to take some brews on a flight from Melbourne to Newcastle when visiting parents - decided against it in the end, but now I know what the answer would probably be.

Back