Been Thinking Again (sorry)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Must have been one of those nightshifts , have another question.
Cold break , OK we know it's important

Now everything I have read about wort chillers tells you to move them around to increase thier efficiency , and yes I know this to be true.

BUT...is this not stirring up the cold break ? What about counterflow chillers , are you not just pumping the cold break around with the wort?

Asking these questions as I have an idea for a chiller , my main problem is cooling the boil quickly .

And has enyone made a counterflow chiller ?
What about some pics?

That's it till tomorrow morning , then I am off nights :p :p
Cheers batz

The only thing to be sorry about is the attrocious thread topic :p

Rather than jiggling the wort chiller, whirlpool the boiler. It has the same effect, ie, moving more hot wort across the coils of the chiller. However, the whirlpooling action causes the break and hop gunk to settle in the middle of the fermenter.

Just be carefull not to splash yourself with hot wort and not to aerate hot wort.

does anyone know where to buy a counterflow chillers. Do You Need a Pump?

Well wedge, I don't know if you can find them here for sale but check out:

www.northernbrewer.com (the cheapest is about $75 AUS)

or

www.morebeer.com (cheapest about $70A)

The one at morebeer weights 6lbs, but USPS on cheapest rates (4-6 weeks) postage works out as $29A making a cfc for $100 delivered.

This may end up being a little more or little less ($ fluctuations) but it wouldn't end up being much more.

The all copper ones are considerably dearer.

You could make one for less no doubt.

Don't know about the pump. I think so though??

Cheers, JD

What I was thinking of was a piece of PVC tubing maybe 300mm dia.
I would make this the same length as my AG stand , that's about 2 metres , so it fits neatly along the bottom.

Make a copper coil to fit inside , could even make two , large and smaller diameter joined , this I am sure would give me 30 mteres or so of tubing.

Now cap both ends and attach hose fittings , run water through the PVC , pump wort oppisite direction through the copper coil.

For my tropical cooler I could even pump ice slurry through it with an old washing machine pump

Sounds good to me anyway :blink:

grain and grape sell phils counterflow fittings for $34-95.
you supply the rest

cheers
big d

Goto St Pats or More Beer and buy the Convoluted Counter Flow Wort Chiller.....

Excellent Value.....

pity you have to deal with the luscios Lynne...:)

the convoluted cfc alone would make your ag set up look a million bucks.
well i reckon my set up will look better with one installed :rolleyes:
and they reckon there the ducks nuts in chilling.
im sold :)

yours in ccfc
big d

gday batz
im not sure on this one but i think from memory without going through last years postings that in jayses pics of his brewery he had a pic of something similar.
long length of pvc tubing with end caps and fittings and some coil of sorts running inside.
as a thought for us tropical brewers maybe you could have one end a screwed cap so you could fill it with ice slurry then connect up your water supply. :unsure:
boost it as you suggest through ice slurry so it gets a double hit.
geez now you got me thinking.

cheers
big d

Big d

Just get a coil and make up a pre chiller for the water supply..
Run the water first thru the coil that is sitting in an esky with ice slurry - then into the CCCFWC...

Hence, the cooler water is now alot colder - nearer 5 degrees. This will make the CCCFWC even more efficieant and use less cooling water.

This is what i am going to do....

Latest posts

Back