Beef & Stout "Man Pie"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InCider

Swap Whore
Reaction score
Beef & Stout Pie.

I used a Toucan Stout for this a big, bitter beer. A big man slice of this pie would not be out of place at any Micro Brewery during winter.

The kit youll need:

1 kilo of cubed steak
2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 onion sliced
2 sprigs of thyme
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot English mustard
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 cup of beef stock
1 cup of your stout
340g shortcrust pastry
1 egg, whisked

The method:

Toss the meat in flour, covering all the meat.
Heat medium saucepan, add beef, oil and onion and brown the beef
Add thyme, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and tomato paste, cool for 1 minute
Add stock and stout, scraping the bottom of the pan with wooden spoon to remove the buildup
Reduce heat, bring the to simmer, cook covered for 30 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce is thick. Allow to cool
Pre-heat over to 200c
Using 4 x 1 cup pie tray, line tray with pastry, add meat and cover with pastry rounds.
Brush with whisked egg, bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden

If you dont have a pie tray, just use ye olde baking dish and line that with pastry.

sounds good, will have to try your version :)
mine is similar but i use curry powder instead of the mustard, and i add a few cut up veges eg carrot, beans, corn

cheers

Sounds hearty and tasty InCider. Have to give that one a go.

cheers,

microbe

Exactly same as my recipe except I dont use mustard. Will give it a go next time. I love my steak n stout pies with a plate of chunky chips and peas.
Cheers
Steve

Nice recipe. I make a Beef Carbonade that looks a little like this. But I'll give this a try.

Thanks for all your comments - I had the last for lunch yesterday.

I'll have a go at Redbeard's suggestion and use curry powder next time.

Cheers,

InCider.

I like curries hot but only use about a teaspoon or so to just add that bite rather than overpower it. guess depends on your curry powder and taste as well :)

I wish I'd made enough to last more than two meals now!

I use the recipe from here http://beeradvocate.com/cookbook/recipe/64 but with my own homebrew stout and the pie base recipe from here http://www.mitsu4wdclubqld.org/tips/kampkitch/aussie_meat_pie.htm with frozen pastry on top and dead set, they make your pants stick out in front when you eat them. The pie base listed will make them like you would get on any decent bakery pie and I went and sourced some individual pie tins for that all authentic look. Damn their good pies

tryed your recipe the other night with some sheaf Stout, absolutly beatiful must do it again

Incider HTFU where's the chilli mate

lol
Franko

Incider HTFU where's the chilli mate

lol
Franko

LOL - I was just going to say that I wouldn't mind making something like this with the Choc/chili stout I just made... but then there would be less stout to drink and I only made a small batch.

hmmmm there is an extra big batch of RIS coming up in my brewing schedule... that might be interesting

Nice thread fellas.

My recipe is as follows and is based on the Guinness Pie recipe in Jamie Olivers latest cookbook.

5 onions chopped rough
5 cloves of garlic chopped fine
1.5kg steak (cheap kind as will boil to soft)(chopped to bite size peices)
200g bacon (roughly chopped)
1 large bottle guinness (or thick stout)
olive oil
sprig of rosemary (finely choppped
big bag of mushrooms (roughly chopped)
pepper and salt
2 tablespoons of plain flour (sifted)
2 large carrots (sliced)
2 sticks of celery (sliced)

Use big pot
Fry onions in good dash of olive oil 10 min but do not brown.
Add carrots, celery, rosemary, mushrooms, and salt and pepper to taste. 2 min
Add steak, bacon and fry for 5 more min
Add Guinness, flour. Bring to simmer.
Simmer for 2.5 hours with occasional stirring.

Take of heat and rest while doing following

Line appropiate sized dish with butter and 'All Puff Butter Pastry' to make base of pie
Put in oven at 200C for a few min till pie base is hardening
Pour in pie mix from pot.
Cover with remaining pastry to make top and lightly dust with beaten egg if desired.
Back in oven till browned and crispy top.

Serve with same beer used in cooking.

Serves 6 to 8 (have done this several times and big serves)

Good luck

Marlow

I't's time to make Beef & Stout Man Pie again... and will try Redbeards suggestion of curry powder and the rest of your recipe Marlow. Thanks for the recipe.

Cheers,

InCider.

After reading this thread and finally trying a Guinness pie at the pub I whipped up a batch today.
camembert_008.jpg

I used marlow's recipe but left out the bacon. I also cooked this in the crock pot ( slow cooker) for 6 hours.
Used the base pastry recipe from Flippo's link, reminded me of my old pastrycooking days.
here's a pic of the "Man Pies" before the go in the oven. I'll update with a pic when I serve them.

Thanks for the recipes and info guys.

Andrew

homer%20drool.gif

DROOL!

Nice work Andrew. There will be a lot of man-pies this winter :icon_cheers:

BURP!!!

The man Pie was a huge success, and I'm stuffed.

man_pies_002.jpgman_pies_003.jpg

cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back