Becoming A Beer Judge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
Tony from HAG's recent comment about becoming a beer judge jogged my memory of a conversation on just that point at the recent Nationals. Anyone keen on the process should go to the BJCP site (bjcp.org I think - still haven't worked out this link thing) and download the judging criteria. There are trial exam questions and stuff like that. It tells the levels of judging and all stuff that will make the willing salivate and the weak minded cringe !! There's an exam in the New Year and it would be good if a few of us wannabes commit ourselves to taking the next step. We can become apprentice judges !!!

This is where someone who knows what I'm talking about steps in and takes control of this thread please !

How many have you got out your way FG???

How many have you got out your way FG???

er ... one. Me.

Thinking about it ??? Talk to your fellow MALEs and see what sort of response you get. I'll push the IBUs.

Again, the next step is (I believe) to sit the written exam. This is not about the full BJCP course with the tastings (that comes later), but i guess the introduction (perhaps serving to weed out those who want to do it and those who only think they want to do it).

Sit back and wait till someone in the BJCP gets to read these threads and informs us more.

I think it's still about $75 to sit the exam.
It may be a better idea to atempt the exam after you have been through the course, to avoid disappointment, both monetary and BJCP score-wise.

Apart from that, there is plenty of incentive to complete a BJCP qualification...not the least of which is the tastings.

Beerz
Les :p

I think it's still about $75 to sit the exam.
It may be a better idea to atempt the exam after you have been through the course, to avoid disappointment, both monetary and BJCP score-wise.

Apart from that, there is plenty of incentive to complete a BJCP qualification...not the least of which is the tastings.

Beerz
Les :p

Agree yes, but the talk was get the study guides and try your luck with the exam. Having read the BJCP info on the exam, it isn't something to attempt lightly. No one can tell me when the next courses are to be run, so I might try my luck and attempt the exam anyway (if I think I can achieve a good result. Quite a bit to read and learn). Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides it'll help me my brewing processes.

Still looking for more interested people who MIGHT want to become a BJCP judge.

I've been hanging out to do the course for ages.
Was invited (and accepted) twice but i still can't get it to happen. :(

After reading the BJCP guides etc, I reckon it would be a hard slog to do it solo without the course.

Maybe if there is enough interest we could get a course put on???
Would rely on a very genrous volunteer to run it though.

I've been hanging out to do the course for ages.
Was invited (and accepted) twice but i still can't get it to happen. :(

After reading the BJCP guides etc, I reckon it would be a hard slog to do it solo without the course.

Maybe if there is enough interest we could get a course put on???
Would rely on a very genrous volunteer to run it though.

We are running one in the Hunter next year. Was trying for this year but it couldn't happen due to personal problems.

But next year is looking good.

Be prepared to pay $100-$200 though just to cover the costs of the study beers, paperwork and the exam.

Dave

I wrote the exam 9 years ago. I happened to be in email contact with a distant brewer (7 hours by car) who mentioned that his club might host a BJCP exam. I asked that he let me know if they did. And he did. Two weeks before the actual exam date. And I had just returned from my honeymoon.

I had been brewing for 2 years, and did all grain batches for almost all of that time. That was a good thing. It's not that kit or partial mash brewers can't write the exam, but it's important that you are intimate with the all grain brewing process. I printed the list of sample BJCP exam questions off the internet (I don't think the BJCP had a web site back then, actually) and then sat down and answered each and every one. I tried to go as far as I could without looking up information from books or the BJCP guidelines. When I got stuck, I cracked open the books to complete my answer.

Those answered questions became my study notes. I strongly recommend to anyone considering the exam that they do the same. I taught electrical engineering at the university level for 10 years, and I can assure you that if you physically write something down, it sticks. Simply reading is not an effective way to study.

Besides the nuts & bolts of the exam (the essay questions), you'll need to judge 4 beers as if you were at a competition. The only difference is that you don't have the luxury of the BJCP guidelines to fall back on while you do it. You'll need to know the guidelines very well. This is why it really helps to be an experienced all grain brewer - you have a distinct advantage if you're adventurous and like to try brewing new styles.

My trip to write the exam was spent either driving and being quizzed by my new bride or riding shotgun and cramming by the car's dim map light. A member of the homebrew club that hosted the exam put up my wife & I for the weekend. I judged for the first time ever with him the night before the exam. I strongly suggest that if you are interested in writing the exam that you practice judging beers - as many as you can - with other people. It doesn't matter if they're experienced judges or not (although it helps if they are), but do practice judging as much as you can. Other people will have different perceptions (aroma, flavour), and that will help you to clue in to unknown aromas or flavours. Don't leave judging for the first time (practice or otherwise) until the night before you write the exam.

I'm now a National ranked judge and I also serve as an exam grader. My club is going to host an exam this coming spring, and myself and a couple of other experienced judges are currently conducting a BJCP course. I wrote an exam guide which I've attached here: View attachment The_BJCP_Exam.doc

You should also consult the BJCP's exam study guide found here.

I mentioned this in the guide I wrote above, but I'll say it again because it's important. BE SPECIFIC. Don't write down "great colour" under the Appearance section for an exam beer. Describe the colour. Was it amber, gold, red, brown, black? How about the head? Was it white, off-white, tan, brown? Were the bubbles small & tight or large & loose? Did the head linger? Was it creamy or thin? Did it leave lace? Regarding the flavour, don't say things like "solid malt up front". Describe the malt. Was it caramel-like, nutty, raisin-like, sweet, grainy? Same thing goes for hop bitterness and flavour. You probably get the picture by now.

If you have any questions, post them here or PM me.

We are running one in the Hunter next year. Was trying for this year but it couldn't happen due to personal problems.

Any word on how many sessions this is likely to be? I'd love to do this, but the commute from Sydney would be a killer.

But next year is looking good.

Be prepared to pay $100-$200 though just to cover the costs of the study beers, paperwork and the exam.

Dave

Thanks Dave

We spoke a fair while ago (at MHB's?) about the course being delayed and I wasn't sure when or even if it was going to happen again.

Heard plenty of good reports about it though so am keen to do it.

Shmick

Thanks Dave

We spoke a fair while ago (at MHB's?) about the course being delayed and I wasn't sure when or even if it was going to happen again.

Heard plenty of good reports about it though so am keen to do it.

Shmick

I remember mate.

The aim is to kick off in Feb and decide how folks want to run it.

Will let everyone know when we get closer.

Thanks
Dave

I'd be happy to attend a pre-exam course based on beer styles, flavours etc.

In short, a beer appreciation course run by someone who really knows.

No problems with $200 for a weekend, so long as there where some quality beer to "learn" about.

BOG

No problems with $200 for a weekend, so long as there where some quality beer to "learn" about.
BOG

starting to get a plan going here ...

I have PMed the relevant man to jump into this thread when he catches up with us (I think he aviates on Wednesday) so we'll get something concrete and correct in the next day or two.

BOG

Sorry, but I think that you have misunderstood what the BJCP study sessions are all about. They are not an appreciation course where your sit back and drink beer while someone tells you what you should be tasting.

They are a series of exam preparation courses 2-3 hours in length where you discuss the study you have done before the session to deepen your understanding of the theoretical issues and practice judging beers and answering essay questions.

You have to limit it to 2-3 hrs and 10 beers for each session due to palate fatigue and general mental exhaustion.

You can read all about one suggested format here.

Dave

...about 6 or 8 of us Canberra Brewers are just about to start the course...led by the rocker , the roller, the riiight outta controla, Dr Kurtz...

...Doc, when is tee off exactly...???

...Cougar...

I think it was me that FGZ ws referring to when he said somebody would respond to this thread, so here goes.

We have been running a course in Sydney for quite a few months. There has also been some parallel work going on with the IBUs in the 'Gong.

The exam is going to be held on the weekend of 19th/20th January 2008. At this stage the 19th (Saturday) is preferred by the participants. It's not possible to just nominate any date to the BJCP because they need to schedule exam graders, remember that its all volunteer labour and the folks who grade these exams put an awful lot of time and effort into the process. Thats the best date I could get.

There are 6 or 7 seven participants so far and I am happy to have as many possible on the day, but I do need to get the numbers finalised within the next few weeks and to likewise agree on a venue which will likely be in the inner west or south of Sydney.

For those who have been involved in the recent or previous courses, the exam is the natural outcome of all that study.

There are a few others, Fatgodzilla for instance, who are going to study like blazes between now and the exam. This can also work, particularly for the theory part of the exam. There are a heap of resources available on the BJCP website, lots of other stuff is just a Google away. Newguy mentioned in a previous post about the model exam questions and his view that you should write it down, not just read it. Damn fine advice and it was pretty much the path we followed in the original Sydney course a couple of years ago. It really does work.

Another thing that deters some is the apparent need to remember heaps of vital statistics about OG, FG, IBU, SRM etc for each and every style buggered if I can. Sure you cant get 100% without this rote learning, but you do score very high if you know what the relative values are and can describe them in a clear manner.

Im hoping that we will have at least one or two catch-ups among the Sydney guys before the exam and I believe Im holding a Doctored Beer Seminar for the IBU folks as well.

Im certainly not advocating that the BJCP is the best possible pathway (heck, that subject has already been done to death here) but it is a good one and importantly an easily available one. Ive had a lot of pleasure out of my involvement with the course but more importantly the subsequent opportunity to try and put some of that learning into practice. Ive had the pleasure to sit with some very knowledgeable and experienced judges over the last couple of years and continue to learn and realise how much more there is to learn!

Oops preach mode off. I think Ill go and have 10 or 12 beers to relax, purely in the pursuit of education of course.

For any of you who would like to do the exam in January just drop me a pm here and Ill give you further details.

Trev

Which reminds me, must get Les and Pomo back onto the program.

We have been working thru the details in the Illawarra, less tasting thru the beers and perhaps drinking to much of the samples that have come along with folks!

Important I think for the tasting part in general is to understand what is a well made beer from foam quality, bitterness profile, attenuation and drinkability. The last 2 I think inexperienced folks miss some what, but what an excuse to go into training for - drinking more beer.

I also think I scared Trev a bit at the Nationals as I think a considered approach is needed, not a ponderous one. Work too slow and you fall asleep, and for me, the first thoughts that spring to mind are the important ones to capture from the onephelactic (spelling) perspective.

FGZ, if your coming up we can schedule some on the remaining sessions around your visit?

Scotty

Another thing that deters some is the apparent need to remember heaps of vital statistics about OG, FG, IBU, SRM etc for each and every style buggered if I can. Sure you cant get 100% without this rote learning, but you do score very high if you know what the relative values are and can describe them in a clear manner.

Good news, you don't need to know the OG, FG, IBUs, SRM, ABV for the style questions. The grading breakdown for the exam style questions leave out these aspects - that means that the graders can't punish you if they're not included. Just beware that if you do include these things and they're wrong, then the grader can count those errors against your score.

The only question that you need to mention OG, FG, IBU, colour (just a description is fine - avoid stating SRM numbers) is the recipe formulation question. And for that question, you don't need to know ranges, just pick a number that lies within the style's range.

My experience with the BJCP exam -

very easy to pass, harder to really excel. The material is not difficult if you have a good basic understanding of BJCP style guidelines, of beer tasting and of the processes and ingredients. However, they cram a lot of stuff into the allotted exam time so don't fall into the trap of spending too long on the first couple big questions.

And while we're talking about becoming a beer judge, the best way is to just get out there and do it... be a steward for a few competitions, sit in on a table with a few experienced judges, have a good group of fellow beer enthusiasts you can share tasting sessions with. It all helps immensely.

Back