Be Careful Of Sth African Homebrew (mqomboti)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
From here
Kwanobuhle man has died after drinking home-made beer and two others are in a critical condition, Eastern Cape police said on Tuesday.

Spokesperson Inspector Gerda Swart said Simoki Morris January, 54, was drinking a brew known as "mqomboti" when he started feeling ill.

"His girlfriend took him to the Latetia Bam Clinic in Kwanobuhle. He was transferred to the Uitenhage provincial hospital where he died on arrival," said Swart.

She said two other men from the same village were also taken to Uitenhage hospital after drinking "mqomboti".

'We believe it is the beer that killed the man'
The pair, aged 37 and 73, showed the same symptoms as January.

Swart said police had confiscated the beer.

"We believe it is the beer that killed the man, and samples have been taken for forensic analysis." - Sapa

Doc

Hi Guys

mqomboti is some really nasty stuff I had it last time I was over in south Africa with my wife it is a beer brew by some of the black tribes in africa and it has been rumoured that some people but battery acid in it to give it a little extra kick so not that supprising that someone has died from it. We head over every year to see my wife's family and do some charity work in the townships. After a hard day working in the township you always gett offered some back at the local shabine but I wont be trying it again i'll stick to the red stripe which is almost as bad.

Terrible story - what a way to go. On a serious note though, how easy is it to make something that'll kill you. Surely it'd taste horrible too??? :unsure:

Cheers,

microbe

hmm sounds like the grains aren't lovingly crushed on the thighs of young virgin girls like my brews then?

The jaapie commercial swills had a similar effect on my guts - Castle, Windhoek, Carling all dreadful, toxic potions.

Hunsa on the other hand (late hopped with Saaaaaaaz - says so on the poster) was drinkable.

RM

Little bit of stuff here, one of the first links from my google.

Its a maize based concoction/beer and that article goes into why the maize they use can be pretty harmfull.

Little bit of stuff here, one of the first links from my google.

Its a maize based concoction/beer and that article goes into why the maize they use can be pretty harmfull.
Nice link Jayse,

Should be a slow way to go though as opposed to the "acute" case in the article by Doc.

Not a great example for gluten free beer!!! Glad I never got a chance to try it when I was is Jo'burg.

Cheers, Andrew.

interesting article there jayse, makes you wonder what's going through their heads. is making me think twice about bottling a brew i've had sitting in primary for 5 weeks :(

Does this mean they could essentially use 'mouldy' corn to make these brews?

Does this mean they could essentially use 'mouldy' corn to make these brews?
Totally,

Here's some photo's from an outdoor sorghum malting (they use sorghum as well as maize depending on the local crop) in SAF. Check the mould growth ... ew.

Sorghum_Malting.jpgSorghum_Mould.jpg

Cheers, Andrew.

guys don't write off the South African HB scene though! these guys make AHB look like a bunch of unorganised dump and stirrers :huh:

example #1

example #2

Dont mean to be cynical, but looking at the Saffer's homebrew festival, 300 guests, 1000 liters of beer, and not a single black person in the photos....

Totally,

Here's some photo's from an outdoor sorghum malting (they use sorghum as well as maize depending on the local crop) in SAF. Check the mould growth ... ew.
Might be me, but last time I encountered mouldy corn I distictly recall one of the most god awful stenches i've ever experienced. That might have something to do with working in the fresh produce industry, but corn has since then, i've never considered corn as worthy ingredient for beer.

Might be me, but last time I encountered mouldy corn I distictly recall one of the most god awful stenches i've ever experienced. That might have something to do with working in the fresh produce industry, but corn has since then, i've never considered corn as worthy ingredient for beer.

You're right there Muggus,

When I first started home malting I had a batch or two of sorghum malt go mouldy and it smelt like the most awful crap :icon_vomit: , it made me want to throw up to improve the aroma!!!

Steeping in a dilute caustic solution solved that problem.

Cheers, Andrew.

hmm sounds like the grains aren't lovingly crushed on the thighs of young virgin girls like my brews then?

Little wonder they are still virgins Capretta! After crushing 12kg of grain on their thighs, they would be so black and blue till next brew day no bloke would come within coo-ee of em! Just make sure to brew every week, otherwise you will find you fast run outta virgins.
Trent.

Dont mean to be cynical, but looking at the Saffer's homebrew festival, 300 guests, 1000 liters of beer, and not a single black person in the photos....
err, can all the black AHBers raise a hand? Any black guys in the brewerhood? Ever seen a photo of a black guy on AHB?

I think you will find there are a few more black people in SOuth Africa than Oz.

I has some friends just go through Sth Africa and they emailed me about the local HB. They even had the nerve to compare my HB to the local swill. The cheeky buggars hadnt ever tried mine and they comparing it to deathswill. buggars.

at least these poor buggers who died, died drinking.

Back