Bc Or Vally Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Will try and get to Consolidated Bearing Company in Silverwater next week.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Doc said:
GMK said:
I want to do this also - can post how you are doing it..

ie motor size - rpm wattage
pulley sizes and especially what RPM u think the mill should run at....
OK, this is my research so far.

The Valley Mill should not be run over 300rpm as recommended by the manufacturer. I'm sure the BC will be similar.
You want to look for a 1/3 to 1/2 HP AC motor with the RPM around 1400. Any more than this and you will have to use multiple pulleys to gear it down.

Checkout thislink on HBD and this one in Oz for some good info.

I'll post pics etc when I get mine done.
My motor should be here end of the week (eBay), and I'm trying to find a good Oz online supplier of pulleys and v-belts now. Not having much success with that so far though.

Doc
[post="42601"][/post]​

My motor has been sitting in the shed idle. It has been one of those when I get to it projects.
Well my hand has been forced. Cracking the grain for this weekends brew tonight and the drill adaptor for my valley mill and had the internal hex part stripped due to overuse.
I busted my gut trying to get it out so I could put the handle on without success. I have scars and a broken glass to thank for my troubles too.

So I have to motorise the *******.

Can anyone give me a great lead on a friendly place in Sydney that I can rock up to and get the pulleys and belts I need to motorise my valley mill ? Please please please.

Doc
[post="91287"][/post]​

Doc

Lewis Pulleys at 200 Wyndham St. Alexandria will have pulleys and V belts to suit.

If in doubt call them on 9319 5541

Regards

Dodge

Gulf Brewery said:
Doc

Consolidated Bearing Company would have what you want. I'm not sidenee based but you can find their locations here.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="91289"][/post]​

Cheers Pedro. Went and paid them a visit this arvo. They will have the goods ready for me to pickup on Thursday, so I can brew again this weekend. Phew.

Batz said:
Doc,
I too have a Valley Mill (you know that)

Ok what you need is the motor gearbox assembly from an old Hoover Twin Tub washer , it will have the pulley already.
Just get a pulley to suit your Valley Mill , Coventrys or someplace will have one , take in the mill and show them !

Try a washer repairer for the Twin Tub

Good luck

Batz
[post="91296"][/post]​

If only I had the time to scour old washing machine joints, I'd be on it Batz.

dodge said:
Doc

Lewis Pulleys at 200 Wyndham St. Alexandria will have pulleys and V belts to suit.

If in doubt call them on 9319 5541

Regards

Dodge
[post="91393"][/post]​

If only we were still in our old office at Alex. Thanks for the info though Dodge.

Beers,
Doc

It is finally done. Well the strap it all together prototype version to get my grain crushed for this weekend anyway.
FYI. Valley Mills only crack the grain if the rollers are turned clockwise :p

I'll need to rig up a more permanent arrangment, that allows for better storage when not in use, but it all went well. Great crush, nice uniform speed (other than when I used my drill).

When I get the permanent config done I'll post some pics.

Beers,
Doc

Hi David
>> I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
>> We will not be taking any orders until after April lst due to the
>> re=organization of our company.
>> Regards,
>> Marianne

AND

Hi David
We cannot promise mills so please do not count on us. We are
re-assessing the ever-increasing cost of materials along with the
availability of materials and are not into thinking of the manufacturing
end of the business.
Regards,
Marianne

Both of the above are replies to enquiries on price and availability of the Valley Mill. It appears they will no longer be produced!!

Chilled

Actually, this doesn't surprise me as you don't see many people talking about the Valley Mill anymore, especially on the US forums. I suspect they are having trouble competing with the price of the CrankandStein and BarleyCrusher.

Those two seem to be the popular choices at the moment closely followed by the JSP maltmill. All the above mills can be had for less than the VM so I guess sales have been dropping. Pity, I have no doubt they are good mills.

Fingers crossed they come out with a more competively priced product.

Cheers, Justin

Back