Bc Or Vally Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Buying a Barley crusher Grain Mill.

I think that it is a good idea to coat the wooden base with some varnish.
Remove the crusher and Seal both sides.

This will ensure that any water spills will not affect the wooden base.

I have done this with mine prior to use.

Hope this helps.

GMK
Have you motorized yours?
I scored a motor the other day will fit it to the valley when it arrives

Batz said:
Batz,

Thanks for the info mate - the Bootleggers Supply site I originally mentioned did get back to me with a quote...wait for it:

Valley Mill - $160.00

Fedex Mail - $248.00!!!

Time to ship - 2 weeks

Total = $408 (US? CAN?) :blink:

Stuff that - I'll hire a cuban virgin and a wooden roller for that sort of money!! :lol:

Cheers,

TL

Batz

I have not motorised mine yet.
My FIL has a small electric motor that i should be able to use/get to do this with.

I paid US 100.00 for my Barley Crusher Grain Mill.

Well only time will tell if I got the mill to suit my purposes , the Porkett did a fair job for small amounts , but seems I have out growen/drinking it

im thinking about getting a phils mill single roller and motorising it with me drill any one used this option

mills are quite pricey...

im gonna look at how feasible it is to make your own, have a few ppl who can help so hopefully follow something like on the craftbrewer site.

Bootlegger no longer sell V/Mills

Hi,

I'm sorry, but we don't have any Valley Mills in stock and the company no longer wants to sell to retail shops, which means that we can't get any more Valley Mills. We are at the moment investigating the possibility of getting mills (Phil's Mill) from an American company. We know a few brewers who use the Phil's Mill with good success. If we do end up carrying this mill, we will post it on our web site.

Regards,

Anik
----- Original

I have been the proud owner of a PhilMill 1 the single roller version which I substanstianlly modified and now use a Barley Crusher.

The PM gets a work out from the Drunk Arab now so I know it is in good hands.

The Barley Crusher is exceptional. The crush is extremely uniform.

Mine is powered by an old skil variable speed electric drill and the crush takes very little time.

Construction of the BC is very nice, I see it out lasting me. My construction isn't what it used to be.

Adjustment of the mill is reasonably simple but for the ultimate adjustable crush nothing compares to the PM.

I have a friend here in Adelaide has a VM and it is a very well made mill as well. His is motorised with a 24v windscreen wiper motor and he fills and forgets while the water heats.

I got my BC from Gerard Meares in Sydney.

Every mill owner will naturally say his mill is the best. All mills set up correctly will give very close to the same results. The advantage of your own mill is the consistency of crush and repeatable results.

9/10 the BC

8.5/10 the VM

8.5/10 PM1 [Just a bit slower in operation but a beautiful crush.]

Steve

Funny though it is cheaper to import tha BC from USA then get from northern districts brewing

bc mill i will have for me ina months time as me old man bringing one back for form the states with out the hopper and timber base which i will make all up $80 usd nice and cheap

sorry for going off topic but is your dad bringing back any micro brew beers?
hope so as i will be keen to hear the taste tests.

cheers
D

yep a snpa and maybe a steam beer and i wil see and a sfor discribing them im bloody hopless

I got sick of looking at grain mills in the US and Canada - the price of the mills is bad enough and when you add postage...forget it!

I've just ordered a Marga Mill from Grumpies for $90. Ok, it's not a you beaut Barley Crusher or Valley Mill, but guess what - it crushes grain through a triple roller system that is adjustable and they've fitted a wider mouth for the hopper to go into and you can attach a drill to the sucker. I'll fix it on a piece of MDF with a cutout and put the lot on top of a pail and away we go!

Have a search on the net and you'll find some pretty positive writeups from US brewers who swear by the Marga Mulino mill... The money I've saved will be spend on more grains! ;)

Check out grumpies shop and search for "mill" if you want one. I'll post some impressions on it after I've given it a workout!

Cheers,
TL

Hi TL,
It would be good to have a Valley or a BC but they are expensive.
I've got a Marga Molino modified to crack malted barley and I have now made a huge hopper from MDF.
I turn mine by hand and crack 5 kilos of grain in 12 mins.
Most will argue that the others are better and from what I have seen, they are.
I consistently get 75% from my mash, so for my money they're not a bad unit and unless you can access one of the others cheap I recon the money is better spent on other equipment.
Only my opinion!!!
Cheers

OK
Now I'll stick my neck out on this one , I've seen both these mills in operation since the world tour.

What person would use their mill the most??
I say a homebrew shop , they crush lots of grain for others right?

So Grumpys...Valley Mill

Goliaths...Valley Mill

Jovial Monks...Valley Mill

Need I say more?

Batz Brewery...Valley Mill :p

Doctors Orders Brewing .... Valley Mill

Doc

No arguments from me Batz and Doc and others as to the quality of the Valley but do any of those shops listed, stock either of them, - no.

In JM's defence he apparently made an effort to import some for anyone interested (me included ) but the word was, it was too hard and too expensive, him being stuffed around by the supplier.

This story of stuff arounds seems to repeat itself on every post that you read regarding the Valley mill as well as does the stories of exorbetant prices and delivery times for freight.

Now if you have someone overseas who can get it for you or you strike a person representing the supplier that cares for the sale then you are very lucky, but if you fall into the category of the majority who have made the enquiry to purchase and been stuffed around then what I am saying is that there IS an alternative.

I am lead to believe that you can buy a Marga Molino from Gaganis Bros for about $55.00 and with 20 minutes work to drill one hole and $9.00 for a bit of MDF and another 30 minutes work to make a hopper you have got a mill that does exactly the same job in the end and that is to crush your grains correctly.

I have tried to order from OS but freight costs and times were rediculous,
I tried to get a friend of a friend to get one but that fell through and I had placed an order with JM but again to no avail, so I will just stick to the Marga Molino for now.

Please do not take this post as an argument for or against the different mills as it is not, but what I am pointing out is that OS suppliers can be difficult at times and costs can be extremely high to secure one of these mills and as I said above,"there is an alternative".
Cheers

Barley Crusher including freight = $200 from the US
Barley Crusher from Australia $260 + freight.

Wait for it.....Valley Mill $350 plus. As only Valley Mill Sell the mills now.

From all reports around there really is little between them except the prestige. Both have pros and cons which i think mean all of F@#K all.

The barley crusher has a bigger hopper, easier adjustment, great knurls, and easier drill attachment.

The valley has larger rollers. Yet i thing the difference is really marginal

wedge said:
The valley has larger rollers.
Hi wedge

I have a VM (and really happy with it) and while the rollers may be larger (I think they are roughly the same size as the BC's), you only really use a small part in the centre of the rollers. The knurling on the rollers is as important as the diameter of the rollers and the BC knurling is fine.

At the price, the BC looks better than the VM.

Cheers
Pedro

Back