BBQ Pork Buns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
Been asked to post the recipes for these little home favourites so i will.

I swear if i was having my condemned last meal these would be on the menu (they'd probably be the frozen shit ones though).

There is three processes, first you make the Chinese BBQ Pork, then you use that and some sauces to make the filling, and then you make the dough to encase them.

If you live in a city with a Chinatown, you can probably buy the BBQ Pork ready to go, i live in a small country centre, so i make my own.

I usually make a fair bit and vaccuum pack and freeze itin chunks for slicing for soups and for this. Sometimes if i don't have any good pork cuts i'll roast some chicken fillets up with the recipe.
I've even resorted to cooking free flow sliced chicken up in the sauce recipe for drunken cravings for buns.

The pork can be frozen as chunks, diced, or frozen in the sauce, so cook up extra, make extra filling and freeze it ready for next time the drunken urge catches you.

Enough rambling.

Cha Shiu; (Barbeque Pork)

500gm Pork fillet, belly, shoulder etc
3 cloves Garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fine grated ginger
1 Tbsp light soy
1/2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp dry sherry, rice wine, port ect
1/2 Tsp five spice
1 Tbsp Char Sui
Red colouring

Cut meat into large strips as round as a an apple and long as they go. Crush garlic with salt and mix with the other ingredients in a large bowl or a zip bag. Add pork and marinade overnight or for two days.
Half fill a roasting pan with water , put the pork on a rack over the top and roast in a hot oven 30 mins, turn, brush with marinade and cook 15 mins more till well glazed and touched with dark spots.
Slice to serve as BBQ Pork add plum or Hoisin sauce to dip.
Nice wrapped in pancakes or lettuce leaves.

Char Shui Bao; (BBQ Pork Buns)

185 gm BBQ Pork
2 tsp Peanut oil
1 small clove of garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp oyster sauce
3 tsp cornflour
1 tsp hoi sin sauce
2 tsp char sui sauce
1 tsp sugar
red colour

Dice pork very small, heat oil add garlic crushed with salt and cook slowly, do not brown. Add hot water, soy sauce, sesame oil, and oyster sauce.
Mix cornflour witha tbsp cold water and stir in, cook till thick and clear while stirring.
Remove from heat, stir in hoi sin, char sui, sugar and red.
Cool then stir in pork.

Dai Bao; (Steamed Bun Dough)

2-1/2 cups plain flour
3- 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp softened lard
about 1/2 cup warm water ( i usually need to use closer to a full cup)
1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar

Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl with sugar.
Rub in the lard with your fingertips to make a fine dough. Mix water and vinegar and add while kneading till it makes a soft, medium stiff dough. Shape into the bowl and cover with a damp teatowel for 1/2 hour.

To make the dumplings, divide the dough into 8 or 10 pieces and mould to a smooth ball. roll out on a lightl;y floured board working from the center out to leave the middle thicker than the edges till they are as round as an orange or larger.
Put a heaped teaspoon on each in the middle and form into a dumpling. Twist to seal, no need for water.
Put each bun, joint down, on a small piece of greaseproof or a piece of cabbage or lettuce in a steamer tray. Cover and steam for 20 mins. Serve warm with a nice spicy homemade chilli plum sauce dribbled over the top.

They should look better than the pic on the bottom, it was pointed out to me by a master on a forum somewhere not long ago that mine were yellow because i'd used margarine instead of lard (true) and that my rolling had been inconsistent and not in line with how i have now amended the recipe.

They are now brilliant white and the dough is thick on the bottom as it is on the top and nice and even. I was getting a lot split, but don't now.

A good tip is to make lots of the pork, lots of the sauce and lots of the dumplings. You can easily double or triple the batch for cooking and it doesn't hurt to make lots of pork and sauce and freeze enough for a double batch when the mood strikes. This makes it a 1.5 hour prep and cook time instead of a Saturday afternoon marathon.

porkbuns1.jpg

I have gone to extremes in the past to get the best ingredients for these...

pigs1.jpg

pigs6.jpg

pigs8.jpg

edit; edited because i'm a pro and i can. edited steaming time to 20mins

Nice. I'll have to give them a go.

Edit - do you use a shop bought cha siu sauce or do you make your own? I have seen recipes for the sauce that look really simple (basically honey and soy).

Cheers
Dave

No i buy it in 2l jars (i use it in my jerky, but don't tell anyone)

Hey everyone,

Punkin uses store-bought cha siu sauce in his jerky!!

*runs away*

Nice recipes Punkin.

Here is a tip you may or may not know when using a saw for forequarter chops etc....

Being a butcher in my past, when we used to get "sloppy pigs" in we used to chill the shoulders in the freezer for a couple of hours (not freeze them). This made them a lot safer and easier when running them through a saw. If you have used a saw on a sloppy shoulder you will know what I mean.

Cheers

Someone may or may not be interested in this but one little tweak I learned when I was obsessing about making my own Char Siu was to add some rose-flavored rice wine to the marinade/cooking sauce. Pushed it just that bit further. You can find the wine in most Chinese supermarkets. I can post the name and a bottle shot if someone wants.

Yum.

Ever tried pork floss? Ewwwwwww. Fairyfloss made from pigs blood.

Amber Fluid said:
Nice recipes Punkin.

Here is a tip you may or may not know when using a saw for forequarter chops etc....

Being a butcher in my past, when we used to get "sloppy pigs" in we used to chill the shoulders in the freezer for a couple of hours (not freeze them). This made them a lot safer and easier when running them through a saw. If you have used a saw on a sloppy shoulder you will know what I mean.

Cheers
Thanks mate, i knew i'd cop a comment when i posted that photo.

The 10 large blacks actually spent 6 days in the chiller before dismemberment, so were pretty good to cut, although there was some grease as you can see. Was a long night, (that's not me by the way) and some EXCEPTIONALLY good tucker.

I wish i still had somewhere to grow them, i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

pigs5.jpg

pigs9.jpg

Yellow or not, those pork buns look delicious. Good work making them totally from scratch, love it!

This and the dim sim thread make me want to bust out some good, chinese style, from scratch dishes, including some pork buns. Good stuff.

sponge said:
Hey everyone,

Punkin uses store-bought cha siu sauce in his jerky!!

*runs away*
Mongrel!

'stands with angry look and shaking fist at sponges retreating back'

Nick JD said:
Yum.

Ever tried pork floss? Ewwwwwww. Fairyfloss made from pigs blood.
One of my chinese friends told me it was made from the skin. Wikipedia says muscle, but I don't think it's made from pigs blood.

punkin said:
Mongrel!

'stands with angry look and shaking fist at sponges retreating back'
Shake harder boy!

tumblr_l9i4abLVeD1qc073co1_400.gif

If only these mystical animals could produce delicacies like bacon, sausages and prosciutto..

best pork buns in melbourne are at Namloongs in the city, trust.

Latest posts

Back