Bb Figjam Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarmael

Reaction score
BB claim to have done 5 malts and 5 hops I think:

16 EBC
Maris Otter
Pale
Vienna
Munich
crystal of some variety (probably crystal 20L)

70 IBU
columbus
fuggles (or EKG, I can't really tell the difference between the two)
galaxy
chinook
<something... I can't quite tell>

Going to guess at some sort of English Ale Yeast (they claim it's a fruity yeast they use, but I don't think it's a Belgian strain. Just my opinion)

What do you think?

Meanwhile, to complete a review on the beer. Very nice. Reminds me of every homebrew IPA I've made. one concern is that as it warms it gets quite an alcohol mouth feel. Very undesirable.

I have tried twisting Brennan's arm about that one but to no avail :lol:

I know the yeast will probably be a hard one since they probably cultured a yeast specifically for it (they seem to be that kind of company and want something perfect)

Meanwhile, to complete a review on the beer. Very nice. Reminds me of every homebrew IPA I've made. one concern is that as it warms it gets quite an alcohol mouth feel. Very undesirable.

I had it the other night, very fruity hop profile and found it quite overpowering.
Spot on with the alcohol warmth, could taste every percentage.

The Figjam is bording on sweet tasting and you can really taste the booze. It tastes more like a Belgian Blonde than an American IPA. The warm alcohol taste is quite overpowering.

Interestingly, there are scientific studies which have shown increasing the alcohol content of beer increases one's perception to sweetness:

The Interactions of CO2, Ethanol, Hop Acids and Sweetener on Flavour Perception in a Model Beer

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s...-9087-3?LI=true

The Figjam is bording on sweet tasting and you can really taste the booze. It tastes more like a Belgian Blonde than an American IPA. The warm alcohol taste is quite overpowering.

Interestingly, there are scientific studies which have shown increasing the alcohol content of beer increases one's perception to sweetness:

The Interactions of CO2, Ethanol, Hop Acids and Sweetener on Flavour Perception in a Model Beer

That's actually pretty cool! Saving that so I can read it later

The Figjam is bording on sweet tasting and you can really taste the booze. It tastes more like a Belgian Blonde than an American IPA.
I think my initial impression was cough syrup.

Had one on the weekend. Quickly grabbed it thinking it had figs in it (tasting notes said to have it WITH fig jam... aaaah).
Flavour overload - wiped out my tastebuds for the night, but I definitely enjoyed it.
After a quick taste of SWMBO's wine, she complained her glass then tasted like hops.

I tasted more AIPA than Belgian Blonde.

Bought a couple of bottles today. Quite enjoying the hop flavour not quite the hop bomb I was expecting.

I don't think BP Bigeye or Tower 10 has too much to worry about I find them a much better balance between hops and malt.

**** I'm good, just ask me.

Still yet to try it.

Grabbed a bottle each of the Figjam, SN Northern Harvest and Mountain Goats rare breed black IPA the other night, was majorly underwhelmed with the Figjam, I remember making mental note not to bother buying it again. Cant get enough of the MG black IPA though!

Back