Bb Ale Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not convinced that, really, for say, an APA that the base malt, for most home brewers is going to make all that much difference in either quality or price. Not to say that the malts are not different, they are, but the flavour diifernces are subtle and swamped by the mass of other factors (malt freshness, IBU's, hop selection, hop quality, yeast selction, yeast health, fermentation temperature, mash regime [do you allow an easy flow or press the grain bed to extract evry last bit of goodness], even water chemistry and so the list goes on to crack size, sparge speed....)
Attacks on one malster or another and personal attacks show, at best, a lack of respect.

K

I am not convinced that, really, for say, an APA that the base malt, for most home brewers is going to make all that much difference in either quality or price.

Neither am I. Hop-driven beers don't really require a nice base malt.

But try to make a subtle German Pilsner with BB Pale ... not the mouse peeing in your mouth BribieG likes to portray, but certainly not the beer I'd be making.

Horses for courses. BB malts are perfect for Aussie Swill and beers where you can't taste anything but hops and spec malts.

Neither am I. Hop-driven beers don't really require a nice base malt.

But try to make a subtle German Pilsner with BB Pale ... not the mouse peeing in your mouth BribieG likes to portray, but certainly not the beer I'd be making.

Horses for courses. BB malts are perfect for Aussie Swill and beers where you can't taste anything but hops and spec malts.

I've been brewing Pilsners for a while now and I find Galaxy the best malt for them, much cleaner and not so malt driven as the imported pilsner malts , and yes I've tried most of them.
I'm not sure what mouse pee tastes like but I don't think I find it in my beers.

Batz

I've been brewing Pilsners for a while now and I find Galaxy the best malt for them, much cleaner and not so malt driven as the imported pilsner malts , and yes I've tried most of them.
I'm not sure what mouse pee tastes like but I don't think I find it in my beers.

Batz

Perhaps Ross can tell us about this "hint of ammonia" that he's aware of. It'd be nice if we can actually find out whether it's an artifact of brewing technique(s) or actuallymalt-derived and some people are more susceptible to tasting it than others.

Maybe it's the mice living in the silos? :D Who knows, but it'd be nice to discuss it - I've got half a sack of BB Ale that I'm earmarking for IPAs so I don't have to taste that Aussie Swill character.

I'll stick my hand up with the info that I perhaps, was the person who pushed DC to start offering a BB Ale alternative. JW (and their Agent of the time, cough, Wes) were doing a good job tying up customers who did not think 'pale malt' was a generic malt and there needed to be an Ale malt and a Pils malt variant. With an, at times 3 EBC colour uplift from Pils malt, the malt can add up if you brew to colour like I do.

I may proposition that Nick, your idea of the mouse and its affect is perhaps just down to brand bigotry. I say this without a personal potshot, more so on the basis that i have used several hundred tons of JW and BB per year and can say it is all Fords and Holdens mate. I have taken medals at the AIBA on both for myself and contract customers, its not what you use but how you use it. I also churn thru plenty of overseas stuff.

I'd also ask in your brewing, do you have any temperature control +/- 0.5c? Again, not a potshot, I am just wondering what sort of havoc esters are having on your beer ... without a cold finger up the bung hole to control temp it will leave your brews wildly different ...

Scotty

I sell/use all types: BB, Weyermann ® TF and Bairds. BB is the biggest seller by far in particular Pale.
They are all different in a workable way. I wouldn't want a monotone malt palette to work with anyways.
All my base malts are cool room stored if that makes a difference I dont know.
Nev

I've used BB Pale once for my HECS Free Celebration Ale, with BB Caramalt and some Smaragd to about 25 IBU.

Fermented with US05 at really low temps, and it came up clean.

I'm a little bit snobby and will take Euro malts for their right varieties (Wey Boh Pils, if I'm doing one; Wey Wheat for a Weibier), and I'll use Bairds/TF Perle for the base for most Ales - if for no other reason that it is the same price per kg as BB, so why not go for (perceived) better quality (i.e. why not buy German made Ford Focus and not the Thai made one, if they're both the same price).

Maybe the interaction of yeast, POR (which I assume is in all these aussie lagers) and the malt just provides that mousey feel?

It is different and I have no comment to pass (as I acknowledge my ignorance) on quality - but I'm satisfied with the one beer I did do, and if I needed to use it again, I'd do so.

Goomba

Maybe the people who can taste mice in their grain should look at better storage scenarios :)

I think we should get back to the actual topic

Now, what did we decide was the best mash temp for sawdust?

Seriously, Im buying a sack tomorrow, my next 3 brews are a, hoppy saison, dry stout and an English IPA, from what Ive been reading something like Joe White Export pilsner or ale malt should do the trick?

I think we should get back to the actual topic

Now, what did we decide was the best mash temp for sawdust?

Seriously, Im buying a sack tomorrow, my next 3 brews are a, hoppy saison, dry stout and an English IPA, from what Ive been reading something like Joe White Export pilsner or ale malt should do the trick?

Trad ale, though you can make ales with the pils. Just need to be aware of the ammonium and sawdust additions, they need to be reduced. Not as much for BB though :icon_cheers:

If we are talking finished beer, fresh saw dust is down to a turpenoid compound, turpenoids as we all know are from hops (mono~ or squestra~ (spelling).

Any papery or catty aromas are oxidation. Perhaps solvent profiles could be coming across for the ammonia ...

Google the beer wheel ... lots of other info on beer faults as well ...

Scotty

Interesting you mention UK styles. My sack of Halcyon is looking a bit sad and no bulk buys on the horizon, so last brew I mixed it half and half with BB Ale, and a bit of wheat, in an English 4.3% ABV pub quaffer and the results should be interesting as I've always only used UK malts in my Pommies. Still in cube, pitching in the morning. I'll report any mice attacks :icon_cheers:

I'd guess that in a lot of English ales its largely to do with the fruitiness from the yeast, the crystals and the hop accents.

I'm fairly sure a beginner asked a pretty reasonable question 3 days ago on this thread.

BB Ale Malt 5-7o EBC
BB Pale Malt 3.3-4.0o EBC

The Ale malt will be a tad darker, yes.

Both will make a good beer. In that recipe.

Hope this helps.

Martin

thanks everyone for the advise, will use this sack of BB but in the future i will try the other advise given maybe should call this one Censored Ale

Back