Bayou Classic pots from the US

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyQLD

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was looking for an upgrade to my 37L Al pot and was having trouble sourcing a keg to convert. Was after something Stainless and bigger but without a huge price tag.

Ended up looking over seas and found the Bayou stuff - and it had one advantage over almost everything else I looked at. It wasn't square.

This is the one I picked up for around $150 inc postage from Amazon

http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Stainless_Stockpots/1060.html

Got it last night and brewed with it today and I'm pretty happy with it - Brew day went perfectly.

Quality however. I've got some photos here. Obviously we're not talking Fortje level here, but it's still fairly solid. How it would stack up to the CB 70L pots I'm not sure. Supposedly the Bayou has a sandwiched AL/SS base but it looked like just the same 20 gauge SS to me. I'm no expert though. Weighs in at about 8KGs, a fair bit more sturdy than the old Al BCF job.

Thought I'd share - Not sure if it's big enough to do doubles though, the CB pot might still be king there. (Not trying to make a direct comparison, just there's really not a lot available in that price range and the CB pots are substantially bigger)

WP_20130223_001.jpg
WP_20130223_002.jpg

And no, the burner isn't sitting on carpet - there's a whopping great old BBQ plate under it.

good work. I was looking at some of these pots a while ago. the cost from amazon seemed too good to be true.

Why did you pick this over the Craftbrewer pot? The CB pot is bigger and comes pre drilled for the same price.

lukiferj said:
Why did you pick this over the Craftbrewer pot? The CB pot is bigger and comes pre drilled for the same price.
Well, I'm fairly sure Ross has said the CB ones aren't sandwiched bases and last time I saw one it looked fairly thin (was a while ago). Having never seen the Bayous in the flesh I thought I'd take a gamble. Originally I went searching for something cheaper than the Robinox pots that were sandwiched AL and then when I saw the dimensions it perked my interest (it's taller than it's width... that's hard to find in a stockpot as most are wider or equal to their height). At the end of the day I'd have to do a side by side to get a really good comparison, mate of mine has one of the CB's so maybe I'll do that but at 58L vs 70L, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue against the CB pots.

Was just a bit of a gamble to see if it might be an alternative although originally I was after the pre-welded kettle they offer I couldn't seem to get it shipped to AU easily.

Call it taking one for the team - if anything it may have verified the CB pot as king :p

Fair enough. Was just curious if I had missed something obvious :D I do that sometimes. I thought a wide base meant that the heat was distributed more evenly but I BIAB in an urn so what would I know.

Why would you want a sandwich base kettle for brewing? You are boiling wort, a sandwich base does nothing to improve your beer!

cheers Ross

I find a sandwich base helps a lot when direct gas firing

Prevents scorch marks from hotspots, provides a more controllable boil

Basically it appears as though the heat is spread evenly rather than just transmitted straight through the pot

Latest posts

Back