Bavarian Wit - How Much Saaz And How?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
I plan on doing a Bavarian Wit style beer with the following ingredients I have:

1.7kg can Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat
1kg brew enhancer
200g cracked wheat grain
28g Coriander seeds
250g orange marmalade
Saaz hop pellets

I will be steeping the grain for 45 min to an hour. My question is how much saaz to add and when? Should I steep it with the grain like a hop tea? Should I dry hop as well?

I want the saaz to come through in the flavour but not to overpower the orange and coriander.

Also, some suggest 28g of coriander for 23L brew and others only 14g. How much is too much coriander?

I ended up using the whole 28g packet of Coriander seeds.

I did a mini boil for the hops with 15g @ 10min and 15g @ 5min.

It's fermenting away well with a distinct citrus smell. Should be good. Hopefully.

Couple of things:

German wheat beers are all about the yeast, as are Belgian ones. It's the yeast that makes the beer taste like a wheat beer. The wheat provides bugger all flavour.

Wheat beers are very unbitter. 10-15 IBUs. And they should have almost zero hop flavour/aroma. So I'd not be adding any hops.

Use Wyeast's 3068 or 3638 for a german wheatbeer (WB06 if you must); 3944 for a Belgian Wit. If you do it will taste like the real thing.

I feel your spice and marmalade (I would be worried about stuff in the jar) additions are way over the top.

I ended up using the whole 28g packet of Coriander seeds.

I did a mini boil for the hops with 15g @ 10min and 15g @ 5min.

It's fermenting away well with a distinct citrus smell. Should be good. Hopefully.
I have done a wheat with orange marmalade, but no coriander.
i assume you are trying to mimic the hoegarden classic style?
You will just have to try this one and adjust the additions of hops, coriander and rind to suit your taste.
And as NickJD says , if you want to make a real wheat beer....its all about the yeast.
Thats where you will get that spicey, clovey and banana estery flavours from that are so definitive of a german wheat beer style.
Just wheat water and yeast. The bitterness is only mild with little hop aroma. Malt and other stuff is only added to change mouth feel, attenuation and flavours that the brewer wants to adjust in the finished beer.
Delicious!

Latest posts

Back