Bavarian Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
Grain:
1kg wheat malt
1kg pale ale malt

Extract:
1.7Kg ESB Liquid Wheat Malt
250g light DME

Hops:
24g Hallertau 4.5% 60 mins

Yeast:
SafWheat K-97

OG: 1.048

Put this on over the weekend. I had to increase the amount of DME to hit target OG as my mash efficiency is laughable. Smells great in the fermenter, nice noble hop aroma is spreading thru the house.

sounds good postmodern
only wish computers could access smell then we all would be in brewers heaven with every recipe

I made an AG Weisse at the weekend too.
It looked awesome in the boiler. A real nice golden molten colour.
Ahhhhh I'm salavating about it already.

And it is fermenting away really nicely with the White Labs hefeweizen yeast at 19 deg C.

Here is the recipe.

Beers,
Doc

Doc's Weisse

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

17-A Wheat Beer, Bavarian Weizen

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 9 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.40 Wort Size (L): 23.40
Total Grain (kg): 5.85
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.69
Anticipated SRM: 7.9
Anticipated IBU: 20.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.53 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.047 SG 11.72 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17.1 1.00 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
59.8 3.50 kg. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
17.1 1.00 kg. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
6.0 0.35 kg. CaraMunich 60 France 1.034 60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
21.00 g. Hallertauer Whole 6.60 19.0 90 min.
7.00 g. Hallertauer Whole 6.60 1.5 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 5.85
Water Qts: 17.31 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 16.38 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.80 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 65 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume L: 20.29 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Doc, with this beer and your Aventinus clone how did your sparge go and what do you use as a strainer/false bottom/bazooka screen?
Just wondering about the stuck sparge that seems to be associated with at least 50% wheat in the grain bill.
I am going to brew the Aventinus but it won't be till next year as I don't have much free time.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

I don't have any problems with stuck sparges.

Check out both pages of my cooler conversion on this topic here.

You'll notice on the second page I put a mesh bag over the manifold. Hence no stuck sparges.

And on this weisse beer at the weekend I cracked the mill up to minimum distance for the crush of the wheat malt.

Perfect.

Beers,
Doc

I bottled this brew a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help trying a few samples. A week in the bottle and it tasted like Coopers kit+kilo. I was disappointed. Two weeks in the bottle (after 12 days or so in secondary) and it is frigging lovely.

Ahh the joys of a partial mash. This brew honestly makes RedBack taste like VB!

I might have to get a better yeast for next time, though. The K-97 lacked the esters I was expecting and it is more flocculative than I thought - so the beer is not cloudy and not "bananary". Maybe I should have given it less time in secondary...

PostModern said:
I bottled this brew a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help trying a few samples. A week in the bottle and it tasted like Coopers kit+kilo. I was disappointed. Two weeks in the bottle (after 12 days or so in secondary) and it is frigging lovely.

Ahh the joys of a partial mash. This brew honestly makes RedBack taste like VB!

I might have to get a better yeast for next time, though. The K-97 lacked the esters I was expecting and it is more flocculative than I thought - so the beer is not cloudy and not "bananary". Maybe I should have given it less time in secondary...
From what I've read K-97 is a clean German ale yeast - you won't get many esters with it. I'm not sure why it's advertised as a wheat beer yeast....

Doubt you can find a better weizen yeast than the old K97, but try a liquid yeast next time by all means

The wheat beer should be bottled without secondarying at all: after a week in primary boil together 180g wheat DME in 2 cups of the beer for bulk priming, rack to a bottling bucket and bottle. that will give you the yeast you want.

There is a Rule of Thirty for weizens: the pitching temp and the ferment temp should add up to 30C. pitch at 12C, ferment at 18C. This will give subtle clove esters, banana is a sign of a too hot ferment.

Jovial Monk

I read The BJCP guideline for the style and banana esters and warm fermentation were desirable in the style. I thought the rule of 30 was for lagers - pitch at 18 and ferment at 12?

I *like* banana taste in a Hefeweizen.

Infact, my favourite Hefeweissbier and Hefeweissbier dunkel (Weihenstephaner) both have a prominant banana taste (along with subtle clove flavours).

My next weizen I'm going to avoid secondary. My last one was very tasty, but wasnt cloudy.

PoMo, I've never had any luck with K97. Its supposed to be good for a basic Kolsch style ale, but not that great for weizens. Try the WYeast Weihenstephan (3068? i cant remember). Its tops :)

I shop at ESB, so I might take Doc's lead and use WLP300 next time. It'll be some time before I make another. I've got the 17 litre starter of WLP500 to keep me busy for a while :)

just reading through this thread as iam doing one tomorow with wyeast 3056 bavarian weizen.
this is a combo ale and wheat strain.
the DCL dry yeast is advertised and sold as a german ale yeast it says nothing about wheat at all. where did you come up with you can't get a better wheat yeast than that monk?
also i have never had much luck pitching at a lower temp unless i crank it up straight away.
whats the go are you meant to wait for the yeast to start forming on top before you raise it up if so at the low temps you could be waiting for days and days and even then still not get a good start to fermention.
what do you do doc. i have the starter going for the last two days at a higher temp and it tastes great no unwanted flavours at all.
starting anywhere below 20c to me seems like a bad idea.

anyway as iv'e never done one before is 18c the best temp for the fermention?
iam not adding any hops on the end and only 15ibu at the start so i want it to be both banana and clove.

iam using 50/50 pils and malted wheat.

cheers' i know nothing about wheat yeast, jayse

First up K97 is not a wheat yeast period.

I usually try and keep fermentation at around 18-20 deg for WLP300. Any higher and the flavours can get a bit too much.
I've never tried the 30 rule (pitch at 12, ferment at 18 etc), as I haven't had the temp controlled environ to do it (also to have cooled the yeast to that temp ready to pitch).

Also usually after brew day I don't get the time fiddle with temps etc.
I'd imagine if I was to do it I'd pitch at 12/13 and have the freezer set to 18 and just let it come up by itself.

Finally you have to be careful with some of the wheat yeast strains as they are more prone to autolysis. I had it happen on a 45 litre batch once. (Need another 60 litre fermenter :D )

Beers,
Doc

thanx doc.
I don't know where all this nonsense comes from about k97 being a wheat yeast comes from.

I won't be to worried about autolysis as it'll be going start into the keg as soon as its finished in primary(its gunna be 'heffe' style).

I have a good 1inch of slurry in the bottom of my 5litre DJ. so pitching lower my work quite well. still won't pitch that low though. Just keep it aat 18-20 through out.

anyway 1/2 hour of starting the brew day just a few cigarettes for breafast and away.

cheers jayse

jayse said:
I don't know where all this nonsense comes from about k97 being a wheat yeast comes from.
I got it from ESB's site. Further research (such as reading the DCL site) has show it's not a wheat yeast at all, just sold as one, for whatever reason by ESB, TCB etc.

Postmodern ,

Like the look of this recipe , can you please give the method .
I am bascially a kit and kilo , but may give this a go a my success with this type of brew in the past has not been good

Rod

P.M
I thought it was a wheat yeast also untill I saw the spec.
I'am using a slurry I scored from Grumpies of 3056 I have step it up also.
Still another good 6 hours of brewing today left.

Cheer Jayse

Lallemand are about to introduce a dried lager and a dried wheat yeast, but few details are available. The lager yeast may be 34/70 or one they put out some time ago.

Apparently their Manchester yeast is used by Coopers in the wheat beer kits, but is now only available as 10K packs

Jovial Monk

Rod said:
Postmodern ,

Like the look of this recipe , can you please give the method .
I am bascially a kit and kilo , but may give this a go a my success with this type of brew in the past has not been good

Rod
Hi Rod,

The recipe is a partial mash. With 2Kg of grains, you need a mash tun of some sort. A tea towel strainer will not work well enough for this volume of grain. Do you have a mash tun?

You could replace the 2Kg of grains with another 1.7Kg can of ESB Wheat Extract and boil them up with the bittering hops. The important part is to boil the hops for an hour to get the right amount of bitterness.

When you kit-n-kilo brew, do you do any boiling?

Cheers,
PoMo.

I do not have a mash tun .
To answer the question about boiling , I have made two of the wet pack TCB brews. The Lawsons lager and the American pale ale . both require you to simmer for 1 hour .
Rod

Back