Bavarian Weissbier Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpal

Reaction score
Guys, I'm having another crack at a Bavarian Weissbier (such as Schofferhofer, Franziskaner etc) and to date I haven't been able to get it just how I like it, so I need your help!
I like it a slightly leaning toward banana, cloudy, and a full mouthfeel. I do BIAB and usually no chill. I don't make water additions but my water is pretty good and balanced.
I was thinking of trying Mangrove Jacks M20 yeast.

What are people's thought on things such as:
  1. Yeast strain
  2. Ferment temp
  3. Mash schedule
  4. Recipe,grain and hop bill, colour, IBU
  5. Oxygen levels for fermentation (stressing yeast a bit to produce esters)
  6. Anything else I've forgotten
Thanks!

Go 3068 yeast.

MJ are IMO the best dried yeast for less than your standard ales and lagers but there are beers where wet is best.

I found the same applied to the myriad of dried Saison yeasts. Only when I used the wet one did it hit the spot.

If the cost per brew is an issue, look up let's freeze some yeast thread and learn about splitting batches and starters. You can get your cost per batch down to $1-2.

The last batch I did was a Hefeweizen, brewed with WY3068.
I followed the advice from this article, and it turned out the best Hefeweizen I've brewed for about 6 or 7 years, after multiple less than stellar results.

http://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

That's an awesome article, thanks for the post! I've heard about the extra sweep through the 45°C range to break down maltose into glucose. I also wondered if something like dextrose (ie glucose) would do the trick?

Here it is. You could probably drop the Carawheat, in fact, I will for my next batch. The mash steps look funny, because I don't use BeerSmith2 for my volumes. After 10+ years on my system I don't need to be told how much water to add.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 125 Elliot's Hefeweizen
Brewer: Robert
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier (Wheat Beer)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 35.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.50 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l
Bottling Volume: 25.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 91.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.2 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 65.3 %
1.6 kg Premium Pilsner (2.5 EBC) Grain 2 32.7 %
0.1 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC) Grain 3 2.0 %
34.0 g Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [4.00 %] - Hop 4 14.0 IBUs
5.00 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 5 -
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 6 -

Mash Schedule: My 3 step Hefeweizen Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.9 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Protein Error: Infusion temperature 55.0 C 10 min
Maltose Add 0.00 l of water at 63.0 63.0 C 45 min
Saccharification Add 0.00 l of water at 72.0 72.0 C 30 min

Sparge: Batch sparged with mashout at 78ºC for first run off, and 2nd batch sparge
Notes:
------
Mashed 55ºC 10 minutes
Stepped 63ºC 45 minutes
Stepped 72ºC 30 minutes

Pitched a starter of WY3068
Batch not aerated

Last edited:
An update, finally had a crack at the Hefe on Friday, very similar recipe and mash steps to above. It's nearing FG now and smells amazing, with a bit of luck I think I've got over the line, but time will tell.

Is anyone into brewing hefeweizens these days ? Ive been obsessed with them lately. Had a few good ones, and some learning experiences. Happy to share if of interest

Is anyone into brewing hefeweizens these days ? Ive been obsessed with them lately. Had a few good ones, and some learning experiences. Happy to share if of interest

I've brewed 2, 1st was a 50/50 wheat/pilsner, 2nd was a 60/40 pale malt/wheat.
Both using Hallertau original and WB06 yeast., will be brewing another soon.

I've brewed 2, 1st was a 50/50 wheat/pilsner, 2nd was a 60/40 pale malt/wheat.
Both using Hallertau original and WB06 yeast., will be brewing another soon.

I'm currently brewing one with 20% vienna and 20% pilsner with the rest wheat; so far it looks the part. im using Schneider weisse yeast and hallertau hops to 10ibu

I've brewed lots of wheat beers over the years and it's a very tricky style to get right despite the myths about it being simple.

Things that haven't worked:
Dried yeast. No! Please don't.

Pils' and wheat grist. Always too watery (most EU wheat's have a more complex grist than this, look at the EBC)

What has worked:
Liquid yeast like WLP-300, you'll never get there with WB-06 and more complex grists. Namingly 40/60 wheat/Munich, or melanoidin with a Pils'/wheat. This is where I come out with a full flavoured Maisel's type weissbier and colour is usually spot on. I couldn't taste a difference between the bottled commercial version and mine apart from oxidation in the bottled version

I've recently made a couple more lighter experimental versions but am very unimpressed. They were 15-20% Munich, Pils' and wheat'. Yuck

All the best with it but with the right yeast and malt grist it actually is a relatively easy one to brew

I've brewed lots of wheat beers over the years and it's a very tricky style to get right despite the myths about it being simple.

Pils' and wheat grist. Always too watery (most EU wheat's have a more complex grist than this, look at the EBC)

What has worked:
Liquid yeast like WLP-300, you'll never get there with WB-06 and more complex grists. Namingly 40/60 wheat/Munich, or melanoidin with a Pils'/wheat. This is where I come out with a full flavoured Maisel's type weissbier and colour is usually spot on. I couldn't taste a difference between the bottled commercial version and mine apart from oxidation in the bottled version

I've recently made a couple more lighter experimental versions but am very unimpressed. They were 15-20% Munich, Pils' and wheat'. Yuck

All the best with it but with the right yeast and malt grist it actually is a relatively easy one to brew

hey Doc; thanks for your tips

i have had some (only 2) joy with the Munich Classic dry yeast, but my best results have been with the 3068, and the Schneider yeast.
interesting wheat to barley grain ratio. if im reading your post correctly, are you saying the higher the wheat the less you like the beer taste and have settled for 40% ?

hey Doc; thanks for your tips

i have had some (only 2) joy with the Munich Classic dry yeast, but my best results have been with the 3068, and the Schneider yeast.
interesting wheat to barley grain ratio. if im reading your post correctly, are you saying the higher the wheat the less you like the beer taste and have settled for 40% ?

Yes mate, as strange as it may sound.

Wheat to me tastes like nothing, I've always had major success using a heavy Munich grist 👍 but yes, if you start with a 50/50 wheat/Munich schedule I'm sure you'll be very impressed

Yes mate, as strange as it may sound.

Wheat to me tastes like nothing, I've always had major success using a heavy Munich grist 👍 but yes, if you start with a 50/50 wheat/Munich schedule I'm sure you'll be very impressed

Is possibly a personal preference/taste thing (i.e. not so much liking the taste of wheat).... however, if you actually want it to be representative of a Bavarian Weissbier (as it's called in the south, rather than "Hefeweizen"), the malt bill must consist of at least 50% wheat. By law.
Fun fact ;)

What has worked:

I have been trying for a long time to make a decent Hefe.
Next time I try your recommended 40/60 wheat/Munich combo.
Question: what temperature do ferment at ?

Thanks

I keep going back to this Hefewezen recipe of mine and it's always a winner. I like more clove so I ferment WLP300 at 17⁰, also throw in a little Aurora Malt.

https://share.brewfather.app/KxD0ZnFhrQDYSW
IMG_6616.JPGIMG_20210505_174102_857.jpg

on yeast - has anyone tried the WLP351 - I just ordered 2 packs to give it a go. keen to head towards the Schneider Weisse flavour profile in the next batch I make.

Back