'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

I'm wishing myself up to trying a toucan brew.

What I'd like to end up with is something similar to the James Squire Porter.

I'd expect the coopers stout +dark ale may come out too bitter.

I'm thinking adding some dry light malt to sweeten it up a little.

Any suggestions?

Ta.
Doh! Wishing = setting or something. Got autocorrected.

Hi guys,

I'm wishing myself up to trying a toucan brew.

What I'd like to end up with is something similar to the James Squire Porter.

I'd expect the coopers stout +dark ale may come out too bitter.

I'm thinking adding some dry light malt to sweeten it up a little.

Any suggestions?

Ta.
I'd go the dark ale + real ale combo and add some steeped chocolate malt

Ta for the tip.

Re the chocolate malt, is that something I can get as a can of extract?

I'd prefer to avoid the whole mashing and boiling and straining thing if I can.

And this means...?

Is it as simple as sticking a kilo of chocolate malt in an old stocking and just hang it in the fermenter while it all brews?

Or is there more technique than that?

You have to boil a pot of water then “steep” the grain in this with a lid on and towel around it for 1/2hr. Remove the grain and then you are supposed to boil the resultant liquor for 15 or so min to sanitise.

I’m sure it’s not been boiled before and been ok but to be safe to be sure!

Cool, got it.

Thanks for the explain.

Do I keep the water on the boil during steeping? Or do I take it off the boil for that bit?

Ta for the tip.

Re the chocolate malt, is that something I can get as a can of extract?

I'd prefer to avoid the whole mashing and boiling and straining thing if I can.
I get mine from the homebrew shop.
200gm milled Chocolate malt, place that in about a litre of water overnight in the fridge, strain into a pot and bring to the boil to sterilize the liquid, add to fermenter.

I just recently finished the last of my toucan that was Thomas Coopers amber ale and a Homebrand draught, with just the Coopers yeast. Pretty good for my standards.
Today I chucked in a Coopers Mexican Cerveza with a TC pale ale and a kilo of Coopers brewing sugar. Both yeasts.

If doing a toucan is there any need for extra added ldme or dextrose?
I have this laying around
1x coopers stout
4x coopers real ale
1x coopers ipa

IMHO, No so long as you feel comfortable with an ABV in the range 4.0 to 4.5.
I have had good success with Coopers Real Ale but I seem to use a different approach every time I brew it.

Most recent one I did was a Canadian Blond + Wheat on a T-58 yeast cake leftover from one of the Cooper's recipe packs. The Belgian yeast gave it just enough character to take it out of the soft drink aisle but it was still ridiculously easy drinking lolly water basically. It got smashed in record time though so I must be doing something right :p

I'm thinking of trying that dark ale + stout combo that seems to be a classic, I've got some fuggles in the freezer - what would ppl recommend? Tea steep? Dry hop? 5 min boil with a bit of malt?

I’ve done a search but can’t find and answer.
Just wondering whether anyone has done a similar coopers toucan

1 x Coopers Lager
1 x coopers pale ale
1 box of light dry malt
1 box of BE2

I wasn’t really a fan of the standard coopers lager and hoping to up the ABV and get a better flavour.

Anyone done something similar. Would love to be able to get it between 5-6%.

Should I be mixing a pale and an amber ale together instead of the mixing the lager in?

Last edited:
Hey guys. We have been looking for someone to work with us in making extract recipe kits. Would any of you guys like to work with us in recipe development for clone recipes. We would like to work with someone who has done quite a bit of extract brewing and extract recipe development.

We have already started to make a few recipe kits ourselves like these ones:
https://www.kegland.com.au/ingredients/recipe-kits/extract-recipe-kits.html

Ideally would like to put together a database of clone brews and have 50-100 different recipes. We have also been working with Muntons to do some competitions for extract beers. What type of competitions would you guys like to see us do. It would be good to get some ideas from you guys.

Made a few toucans.

Stout/dark ale/1kg brown sugar - will be good with more time in the bottle
Sparkling/real ale/500g LDM - looking forward to this one being ready.
APA/Lager/1kg coopers BE2 - too sweet.

Going to try the following

Stout/dark ale/500LDM/500brown sugar.
Real ale and dark ale toucan with 500LDM

I’ll keep you posted.

Just started a 'toucan' - 2 Coopers Canadian Blonde and 2 Coopers Real Ale (plus 4kg of malt).

And just realised I don't have a hydrometer, so the OG sample is waiting for me in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back