'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, I can't believe this thread is still kicking along strong in 2018 after I started it in 2007, haha.

Good to see so many good (and bad!) experiences from the varied brews - I do like the look of the Trappist, mongey! One downfall of where I am at the moment is no HB shop and having to rely on Woolies / Big W, so Amarillo, Saaz and even the humble PoR are a thing of the past for me at the moment.

Keep up the good stuff!

- boingk

This might be a stupid question, but could I just make up a single can brew to like 11L and get a similar result to a toucan made up to 23L?

Currently drinking my toucan.

- 1 x Can Coopers Real Ale
- 1 x Can Homebrand Draught
- 1 x BE2
- Both Yeasts

My 6th kit brew and best yet I reckon.
I just put down almost exactly the same a couple of days ago. Only difference is I had Thomas Coopers pale ale instead of the real ale. Have to say I'm relieved to read yours went well.

This might be a stupid question, but could I just make up a single can brew to like 11L and get a similar result to a toucan made up to 23L?
I've done Cooper's Lager x 2 + some hops and "proper" lager yeast @ 28 litres a few times and will do it again :)

I was wondering about the homebrand yeasts. The can on the homebrand draught said to brew from 25-35 °C... I just chucked both in. Being in Sydney it's about 15-25 at this time and I figured the other yeast would do most of the work. But doesn't 25-35 seem high? I've never done a draught.

yeh man its pretty high reading for temp, though you will find that the kits yeasts are made to operate at a wide range of temperatures to ensure a result where as a top line yeast bought in a packet is usually a bit fussier and need good temperature control though the end product is better. What your doing will produce beer that may need to be matured for a while to get rid of the unwanted flavours. Did one like yours a while ago and left it for a year, mothers milk.

Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark + 40g of cascade into fermenter. Done to 21 litres is a standard falling over water for me.

Again, I can't believe this thread is still kicking along strong in 2018 after I started it in 2007, haha.

Good to see so many good (and bad!) experiences from the varied brews - I do like the look of the Trappist, mongey! One downfall of where I am at the moment is no HB shop and having to rely on Woolies / Big W, so Amarillo, Saaz and even the humble PoR are a thing of the past for me at the moment.

Keep up the good stuff!

- boingk
i live out of the city as well and its easy to get hops delivered, they are prolly the most cost effective ingredient to have delivered.

What do you think of a Black Rock Pale Ale and a Coopers Aussie Pale Ale with say 30g of cascade hops boiled for say 15mins, teamed with 1kg DME? Reckon it'll work?

I like a 2 x Coopers Draught. I warm up 5L of water, add the tins, heat to 68C, then add 150g total of your typical IPA hops (I like 50 each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Galaxy), put the lid on and leave it a few hours. Then fill to 20L to ferment, use the Coopers yeast, then use a good dose of whole hop cones in the keg too, after it's had a month in there.

Coopers Australian Pale Ale and Coopers Hefe Wheat with another can of Breiss Wheat extract and Belle Saison yeast. 23L.

2 x European Lager with 1.5kg Honey, 1.5kg Light Dry Malt, 2 packs M31 Belgian Trippel Yeast, made to 26L. Ferment it above 25C.

I like a 2 x Coopers Draught. I warm up 5L of water, add the tins, heat to 68C, then add 150g total of your typical IPA hops (I like 50 each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Galaxy)/QUOTE]

Hey @Errant
Just curious on your post, if you were to do the exact same thing but using only 1x coopers draught can what would be the difference in comparison to using two cans? I have 2 cans of draught coopers kits but still unsure what to do exactly with them ( 2 brews or 1 toucan brew)

What do you think of a Black Rock Pale Ale and a Coopers Aussie Pale Ale with say 30g of cascade hops boiled for say 15mins, teamed with 1kg DME? Reckon it'll work?

Of course it'll 'work'... but the resulting taste may not be to your liking. I would suggest that this may come out a little bitter, but probably drinkable if your tastes are that way inclined.

I like a 2 x Coopers Draught. I warm up 5L of water, add the tins, heat to 68C, then add 150g total of your typical IPA hops (I like 50 each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Galaxy), put the lid on and leave it a few hours. Then fill to 20L to ferment, use the Coopers yeast, then use a good dose of whole hop cones in the keg too, after it's had a month in there.

Coopers Australian Pale Ale and Coopers Hefe Wheat with another can of Breiss Wheat extract and Belle Saison yeast. 23L.

2 x European Lager with 1.5kg Honey, 1.5kg Light Dry Malt, 2 packs M31 Belgian Trippel Yeast, made to 26L. Ferment it above 25C.
Thanks for that. I'll definitely look at your alternative with the Coopers Draught. Cheers.

You could just copy the recipe, but halve everything and it will be essentially the same. If you like a bitter IPA, then a Double Draught will be up your alley.

Of course it'll 'work'... but the resulting taste may not be to your liking. I would suggest that this may come out a little bitter, but probably drinkable if your tastes are that way inclined.
I do like a very bitter beer so definitely will give this a go this week end. Thanks. I'll report on the results and post my thoughts as soon as ferment is over.

Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark + 40g of cascade into fermenter. Done to 21 litres is a standard falling over water for me.
Haven't brewed since November, due to life getting in the way, and a low care factor.
But my stocks are empty, first time in many years.

I have some grain ready to go for a brew, but in the meantime, I picked up the gear for something similar.
Toucan Coopers Stout/Dark, 500g brown sugar, 30-40g UK hops from the freezer (goldings/fuggles), filled to 23L
I have an old WLP013 London Ale starter on the go, but if that doesn't kick off, I have the kit yeasts ready.

I haven't done a kit beer in many years, but I've always wanted to go back to this one.

Hi guys,

I'm wishing myself up to trying a toucan brew.

What I'd like to end up with is something similar to the James Squire Porter.

I'd expect the coopers stout +dark ale may come out too bitter.

I'm thinking adding some dry light malt to sweeten it up a little.

Any suggestions?

Ta.

Back