Batch sparging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Can you clarify for me, doing partial mashes. 2.5kgs worth of grain, mash at 66 degrees in 7.5 litres of water.

I haven't been too process in my batch sparging though, been doing it wrong just using about 5 litres of water to rinse at 75 degrees.

How much water and at what temp should I do the two stages of batch sparging?

Haven't worked out how to turn all the lbs and quartz into language I could understand for Australia.

Cheers.

lbs is grain
qts is water.
1.5 qts per lb is 1.4 litres per lb is 3.1 litres water per kilo grain

If you are doing partial brewing I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you are fussy about brew efficiency. Like AKX said, you have your 3:1 ratio for the mash in which is the important part. Some partial brewers don't sparge at all since they are just going to add malt extract anyway, while others will check the specific gravity of their sparge as it drains out of the grain bag until they are satisfied that they have got most of the sugars out of the grains.

I personally don't see a problem with how you are doing it now, When I was partial brewing I just drained the wort from the bag then sparged with 75'c water until my 12 liter stock pot was almost full. Not super scientific but I felt happy that I had got the lions share of the sugar out of the malt and certain I would get that 'fresh grain' flavour in my partial brew - which was more important to me overall.

All that being said, now I brew All-Grain, I am a lot more anal about getting the most out of my grains as possible but only because I know I'm not going to add malt extract ('guaranteed' sugars if you like) at the end of the brew. My advice is relax and enjoy the process, partial brewing is a fun, quick, low-stress way to brew with grains and still produce great tasting beers.

Latest posts

Back