Batch sparge or 2 separate mashes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Doing a big brew - 8kg of grain for 21L in fermenter
My mash tun (rubbermaid) is 20L
Should I batch sparge 4 or 5 times
or
do 2 mashes and sparge each a couple of times (having first on the heat whilst 2nd is in the MT) ?

My main concern is not getting enough water in for the initial mash.

Yeah that's a fair bit of grain for a 20L mash vessel.

2 mashes might be the go, good luck.

Two batches. Assuming 0.9L of water absorption and 2.25L total L/kg you're looking at 18L of volume in the cooler just with the grains - just not going to work.

Ie i think you'd add 8.5-9L, 7.5 would be absorbed and you'd draw off a massive 1-1.5L - assuming zero deadspace.

At the risk of sounding patronising, why did you design a beer that's too big to achieve with your gear?

Your overall mash will be 2.5L/Kg, which is fine, but with only a 20L mash tun, that's going to be a big ask from your kit. It just won't work.

Ever thought of parti-gyling (getting two beers from one grain bill)? Or even reiterated mashing (run-off & then add fresh grain & strike water to your mash tun for another go)?

If you've got an extra pot available, you could do either/both. Research required...

8kgs is about a standard for a 40L at about 1050. so two batches in 20L mash tun. id look at martins suggestion of reiterating the mash

Not sure on the software you're using, but I find that the 0.9L/kg absorption and 1.35L/kg grain volume works well in Beersmith.

It's a little backwards - the absorption is fine, but if you measure the volume of a kg of cracked grain (2.25L) Beersmith relies on you removing the absorption value (0.9L/kg) and the balance is what you enter into the grain volume (so 1.35L/kg).

If you have these correct - or measure your own and account for this - sizing your batches will be a lot easier. With boiloff, dead space etc measured you'll have the basics in place for consistent brewing - otherwise you're flying blind.

MartinOC said:
At the risk of sounding patronising, why did you design a beer that's too big to achieve with your gear?

Your overall mash will be 2.5L/Kg, which is fine, but with only a 20L mash tun, that's going to be a big ask from your kit. It just won't work.

Ever thought of parti-gyling (getting two beers from one grain bill)? Or even reiterated mashing (run-off & then add fresh grain & strike water to your mash tun for another go)?

If you've got an extra pot available, you could do either/both. Research required...
I made a 12L batch of this a month ago and ran out. Thought I'd go bigger, milled my grain and then realised my equipment has limitations.
Have a couple of spare pots so I think I'll go with 2 batches.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Back