Bass Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cero

Reaction score
Hi All -

Has anyone made a good clone of Bass?

I'd be very interested in the recipe :).

Cheers -
Cero.

Cero,

Morgans have this on their website, not sure what its like, but like I said in my other email, their dark wheat was great.

Morgans Bass Ale

Bass Draught Type
The most widely available beer in Britain. Brewed by Bass of Burton On Trent - one of the most famous breweries in the world.

Beer Category: TRADITIONAL
OG: 1048 FG: 1014

Ingredients:

3kg Morgans Pale Unhopped Extract
500gm Morgans Dark Crystal Master Blend
50gm Cascade Hops (hops 1)
15gm Cascade Hops (hops 2)
1 sachet Morgans Ale
Sugar for Bottling

Method:

Add around 500gm of Pale unhopped extract to 4 litres of boiling water. Boil with Cascade hops 1 in a bag for 45 minutes. Add Cascade hops 2 for final 15 minutes of boil.

Switch off heat and remove hops.

Add remaining Pale extract and master blend, stir to fully disolve.

Pour into fermenter and make up to 23 litres with cold water. Once temperature is below 30C, add yeast and allow to ferment at a temperature between 22and 30C.

Bottle as normal once fully fermented after first priming with sugar.
Warning - Do not bottle until fermentation is complete otherwise overgassed bottles could explode

I'm no expert on English Ales, but I find it highly unlikely that Bass would use American hop varieties in an English Pale Ale.

I don't know if it tastes like Bass , but it makes a bloody good drop of beer after it gets a bit of age on it

Bass Pale Ale from TCB recipe sheet

E.S.B. India pale ale
1kg Amber malt
250g Crystal malt steeped 15 minutes
24g Goldings Quick boil

PoMo,

I'd say a British Ale would definately not use a yanky hops, but thats artistic licence for you ..... B)

Besides I'd say duplicating any Bass beer is going to be tricky unless you want to start messing with your water

The recipe would work and keep my stylistically pure heart happy if you substituted in equal IBU's of East Kent Goldings. :)

hmmmmmm

why use an extract, rather than steeping some crushed crystal?

The more grains, the better the beer!

and yes, fuggles and goldings, good old dirthops

main prob, though, what yeast?

Really needs a liquid yeast, White Labs Burton Ale would seem spot on

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
why use an extract, rather than steeping some crushed crystal?
Look at the recipe's source. Morgans. They sell extracts, not grains.

I agree with your recipe modifications. I'm a partial masher. Where I to make this, I'd go 1Kg Pale Ale Malt & 200g Dark Crystal, mashed. 2 Kg Light DME, E Kent Goldings for aroma and whatever high AA I had on hand for bittering.

btw, Wasabi. I checked BJCP guidelines for English Pale Ale and they reckon some commercial brewers over in Old Blighty are using cascade hops, like our very own Little Creatures, but if a homebrew is entered using them, they'd seem to judge it as an American Pale. There's no reason you can't brew an American Pale Ale in England. Doesn't make it an English Pale Ale, tho.

PoMo,
:ph34r:
AHB's Closet Style-Nazi.

Is it the Bass "Draught" you're after????

Hi Post Modern -

Confused about partial mashing - can you possibly explain how you would:

I agree with your recipe modifications. I'm a partial masher. Where I to make this, I'd go 1Kg Pale Ale Malt & 200g Dark Crystal, mashed. 2 Kg Light DME, E Kent Goldings for aroma and whatever high AA I had on hand for bittering.

Are they replacements? or additions?

Confused??

Modifications :) Less extract but add some fermentables out of the grain. If you don't already part mash, this thread is probably not the place to start talking about it. I mean, the process is a little more involved than a single post could adequately explain... If you use all extracts and are happy, stick to it until you're ready to go partial or all-grain. :) Tons of reading out there in www

Steeping crystal malt is easy enough, tho. You could just use light liquid extracts and instead of the extract version of crystal, just grab some crystal malt from your hbs, steep it in a coffee plunger full of hot (not boiling) water for an hour or so then pour it into your brew pot.

Thanks to all!

Will give the bass recipe a go - and will think a bit about the mods suggested by post modern and others.

Heres the recipe from the CAMRA book BYORAAH,
OG 1043

Pale malt 4600 gm
crystal malt 250gm

Hop bill,

Challenger hop(7.7% AAU) 34 gm start of boil
Northdown hops(8.0%AAU) 22gm start of boil
Northdown hops 12gm last 5 mins
Irish moss 1 tsp last 15 min

Mash liquor 10 litres
Mash temp 65o C
mash time 90 mins
Boil time 2 HOURS
Alc content 4.4%
FG 1010
bitterness 35EBU
Final volume 23 litres

Notes: Northern brewer can be used to substitute nothdown. Try dry hopping with a few cone/plugs of northern brewer or northdown

Extract version: Replace Pale malt with 3400 gm of pale malt extract. Steep crystal malt and strain off grains and add liquid to boil

i would not substitute Northern Brewer for Northdown, Northdown is a fantastic hop!

Can you get plugs of Northdown/NBrewer, Linzie? where?

Jovial Monk

Haven't tried...but I was just copying from the book!

Only can get pellets of northern brewer.

Back