Basic Pid Program Generator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Hi all,

i've been working on getting my PID based BIAB rig up and running, and thought i'd start working on a very simple PID program generator.

It's just a spreadsheet i thought i'd throw up here on AHB for those so inclined that may like to use.

It caters for a simple, single step mash, with the option for a mashout or not.
Just enter the details in the boxes and then program the PID with the steps displayed in the right hand side chart.
It automatically adds 2 degrees to the first step, as this would replicate a similar strike temp before doughing in for a BIAB rig. If your rig is different in this regard, just change the +value in cell E4.
Put your PID into "stop" mode (hold down the up arrow) before you add grain to make the controller stop heating. Then just run the controller from CO2 mash step onward.

I have attached some pics....

With Mashout:
Simple_Ale_Program_with_Mashout.jpg

No Mashout:
Simple_Ale_Program_No_Mashout.jpg

If you never mashout, just bump the lower programs up to marry with the last blue mash step.

I know it's very basic, but i thought it may be helpful for some (like me) who are new to this whole pid programming thing.
I intend to add more mash steps, or someone else can do it if you feel like it. Not fussed.

I have also thrown this spreadsheet in my phone, tablet, brewery combrewtor for easy access on brewday.

Any thoughts and opinions welcome!

Spreadsheet:

View attachment PID_PROGRAM_GENERATOR.xls

Wow, those ramp and soak PIDs sound like a real PITA to get your head around BN.

Wow, those ramp and soak PIDs sound like a real PITA to get your head around BN.

Actually the programming i find quite easy. It's understanding what all the settings do, and how they affect my programming that really have me stumped.

High and Low deviation alarms, Hysteresis, output modes and operating modes.....that shit fries my brain.
I am a drummer after all though..

The easiest stuff for me with all this PID shit has been actually creating the wiring schematics, and understanding how to BASICALLY program the *******.

I'm atleast having heaps of fun discovering all this stuff though.

Silly Question, but can you tell it to stop and wait for user input at any of the steps?

ie.
ramp to strike, and hold until user has mashed in and presses [ok]
then run through brew steps
and once hits mash out after the 10mins wait for user to get bag out and press [ok]

QldKev

hmm, i dunno kev.

you can get it to "hold" at the mash out temp by programming the time as 0mins. It will hold it at the mash out programmed temp until you tell it to do something else (lift bag and drain in this instance) Next step would then be the ramp up to boil. I guess it would just need another "row" of data between the mash out and ramp to boil steps to allow this.

With regard to mash in, that's the 0mins in the first step (CO1) time. It'll hold strike temp until you're ready to go.
Not sure how to automate the drop in temp created by adding the grain, so i reckon it might be easier to just put the controller into stop mode, add the grain, allow temp to settle, and then proceed with CO2 step.

Is that kind of what you mean?

hmm, i dunno kev.

you can get it to "hold" at the mash out temp by programming the time as 0mins. It will hold it at the mash out programmed temp until you tell it to do something else (lift bag and drain in this instance) Next step would then be the ramp up to boil. I guess it would just need another "row" of data between the mash out and ramp to boil steps to allow this.

With regard to mash in, that's the 0mins in the first step (CO1) time. It'll hold strike temp until you're ready to go.
Not sure how to automate the drop in temp created by adding the grain, so i reckon it might be easier to just put the controller into stop mode, add the grain, allow temp to settle, and then proceed with CO2 step.

Is that kind of what you mean?

So by having CO1 set to 0, do you press a button once you are ready for it to continue through the rest of the program?

So by having CO1 set to 0, do you press a button once you are ready for it to continue through the rest of the program?

Yep.

Fill the vessel with strike water.
Start PID at CO1, and it will heat the water up to, and hold it at strike temp until i tell it otherwise.
Put PID into stop mode (i think it's by holding the up arrow down).
Add grains, stir, lid back on, and then call up CO2 step where the controller will continue as normal.

If adding grains drops temp too much (more than the already calculated 2deg in spreadsheet cell formula), then next brewday change the +value in E4 to replicate the change in temp from previous brew.

So say for example, today you brewed and wanted to mash at 66 with a strike temp (CO1) step of 68.....when you add the grains with the controller in stop mode, if the temp drops to 65, then next time change E4 from "=B4+2" to "=B4+3". Or if it dropped temp to 64, E4 would become "=B4+4" etc...

Have spent some more time on this overnight and come up with a spreadsheet capable of calculating steps for a multiple mash scenario.

With this spreadsheet, any time you have "empty" mash steps that show in the PID programs in the right hand side chart, just remove them from the programming when entering it all into the PID, otherwise the controller will most likely do a big "cool down" and attempt to hold it indefinitely. Just bring the steps that have data in them, up to the last mash step so that the programming "flows" properly.

Here's what a single infusion, no mash out would look like from a data entry point of view:
SINGLE_INFUSION_NO_MASHOUT.jpg

Here's a multiple step mash with a mash out:
MULTI_STEP_MASH_WITH_MASHOUT.jpg

Here's the spreadsheet:
View attachment PID_PROGRAM_GENERATOR.xls

Hopefully someone out there finds this useful. If not, no stress.

It's helped me understand the programming side of PID's just by knocking this up. I've also stored it on my phone's, tablets, and brewery combrewtor for ease of brewday access.

Cheers,

Nath

Latest posts

Back