Basic Calculations For Partial-Mash Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too easy guys, it's gone in the bin.
I'm currently working on a partial mash recipe with one of the old Coopers IPA cans. Will post up soon for circulation

Looking at the bottom of the container will tell you if you can use it or not. If it says hdpe it will be fine or the "recycling" symbol (cant rember exactly. The triangle arrow with a number. Depends on what the number is) means hdpe as well. The only drama Ive had with similar bottles is the cap not sealing or not being reusable. I use 2 and 2.5lt bottle that look very similar for starter wort.

If it has HDPE and or the recycle triangle with the number 2 in it, its ok to use.

peekaboo_jones said:
Too easy guys, it's gone in the bin.
I'm currently working on a partial mash recipe with one of the old Coopers IPA cans. Will post up soon for circulation

How did you go with this, Nick?

Cheers,
Pete

Gday Pete,
Thanks for the reminder. This one has been moved down in my list of things to do but I'm thinking something like the following:

Superseded IPA IPA
Thomas Coopers IPA can
1kg Maris Otter
500g Joe White traditional ale malt
250g Joe white crystal malt
All mashed between 63-68C as best as possible for 90 mins with 6L of water. (In stockpot submerged in good sized esky with 70C water)
Sparge with 3 L of ~75C water.
Boil for 45 mins
25g Chinook for 30 mins
25g Falconer flight, 25g Equinox, 25g Amarillo for 5 mins (plus 10 min stand prior to cooling wort)

Will fill fermenter to 18L and check gravity. Adjust as necessary with more water and/or light dry malt to achieve minimum starting gravity of ~1.046
No dry hopping cause I currently like what late boil/steep brings to me.

Cheers!

;;;; Edit includes mash equipment

Back