Basic Apple/pear & Pomegranate Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pomegranate cider on at the moment. I found 2 brands. The first (arabic stuff, I think called Caesar) had sugar and was from concentrate, and it had a woody seedy taste, which I thought might add a little tannic complexity to the brew. The second brand is pasteurised and was half raspberry, but not from concentrate. I think it is Algerian or something. I got it from Bananna Joes in Marrickville. Anyway that stuff is great, tart and clean in flavour. They have a blueberry juice too, which tastes great, and I am considering adding it to a wit or similar.

I have crashed it at 1.010, it tastes good, a little too clean, but very refreshing. There is the presence of sulphur, which is annoying, but not in a quantity that will put the GF off. I thought I would backsweeten after ferment finished, but I decided to just stop it. I used champagne yeast from Ross and fermented at 17 degrees with a single nutrient addition at the start.

Would you suggest subbing the pomigranite syrup with Grenadine? Just having issues sourcing it.
grenadine is just red cordial/syrup these days, so i cant say it would be a straight sub. i suppose there isnt too many middle eastern stores in kalgoolie is there! you could always sub it with pom juice post fermentation.

Tasted this again for the keg (it's been awhile), it tastes fantastic. Ultra clean, mulberry has really come through and vanilla us great back flavour. Bugger all head but I never see head on cider. Now that it's aged it's really bloody good.

Thread resurrection
Last night i made another version of this except using the whole bottle of pomegranate this time.

Pomagranite apple ginger
700ml pomegranate molassas
14L apple juice
6L apple black current juice
Large hand of ginger grated
Uso5

Bring on summer cider

Edit. 1tsp of molassas in 10ml water is 1090. Which is about what honey is i think from memory. Cant be buggered doing the math.

Thread resurrection
Last night i made another version of this except using the whole bottle of pomegranate this time.

Pomagranite apple ginger
700ml pomegranate molassas
14L apple juice
6L apple black current juice
Large hand of ginger grated
Uso5

Bring on summer cider

Edit. 1tsp of molassas in 10ml water is 1090. Which is about what honey is i think from memory. Cant be buggered doing the math.
tasted this the other night. absolutely brilliant. lovely dry soft (soft as in no well balanced, no sharpness or harshness) cider with a nice perfumed pomegranite finish. Whether you'd pick it as pomegranite if you idnt know it was in there im not sure, but you'd certainly know there was something differant in there. Its going to be great after another few weeks of lagering

Racked off the pyment leaving the lees and have begun the next experiment.

Winter warmer cider
50% apple juice
50% apple blackcurrant juice
1kg dark brown sugar
700ml pomegranate molasses will be added after primary.

Sounds good.

Might want to go easy on the pomegranate molasses. If its what I'm thinking of its powerful strong stuff.

If you're adding after primary, are you expecting it to ferment? Or just adding it for flavour? If its just for flavour I'd maybe add a little at a time until you are happy with the taste. Easier to add than take away.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Sounds good.

Might want to go easy on the pomegranate molasses. If its what I'm thinking of its powerful strong stuff.

If you're adding after primary, are you expecting it to ferment? Or just adding it for flavour? If its just for flavour I'd maybe add a little at a time until you are happy with the taste. Easier to add than take away.

Cheers
Dave
I used the whole bottle last time and was happy with it. Iys now a year or so old so its probably loosing some of its potency.

Happpy for some of it to ferment out. But yeah I want the flavour.

Yeah... forgot to look at the thread title didn't I... you have used this before.

Where do you get it BTW? I wouldn't mind having a crack at it.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Yeah... forgot to look at the thread title didn't I... you have used this before.

Where do you get it BTW? I wouldn't mind having a crack at it.

Cheers
Dave
I buy mine from a lebanese bakery in brunswick Melbourne. Ive seen it in different middle eastern shops though that sell spices etc. Ill take a picture and post it up. Shouldnt be too hard to locate. I originally started buying it to use in middle eastern chicken pies

citymorgue2 said:
Racked off the pyment leaving the lees and have begun the next experiment.

Winter warmer cider
50% apple juice
50% apple blackcurrant juice
1kg dark brown sugar
700ml pomegranate molasses will be added after primary.
tasting brilliant out of the fermentor. slight hints of grape and honey with the cider. will be great

Back