Basic Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
dose this look ok for an APA?

b]basic pale ale[/b] (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 6.6 (EBC): 13.0
Bitterness (IBU): 32.0 (Average)

80.65% Pale Malt
9.68% Munich I
4.84% Caramunich I
4.84% Wheat Malt

0.5 g/L CTZ (15.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Meridian (6.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Meridian (6.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Meridian (6.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Looks fine, the only points I'd have are that the bitterness is probably too low when you consider the recipe is 15 Munich and caramunich. It might end up tasting more malty-sweet than normally desired for the style, but if that's what you like, go for it.

Alec

Was thinking of dry hop as well but obviously won't add to bitterness
Should I up the meridian additions or the ctz to get 40ibu?

Or reducesome of the munich

Was thinking of dry hop as well but obviously won't add to bitterness
Should I up the meridian additions or the ctz to get 40ibu?

Or reducesome of the munich

Depends what you like. This is what I think:

If you want a lighter style APA, reduce the Caramunich 1 somewhat, and leave the bitterness at about 35 IBU.

If you want a maltier style, leave the malts as is, but up the bitterness to about 40 IBU. Good idea to do that with your later hops, so you get some hop flavour also to balance the malts.

I'd definitely increase the IBU a bit to at least 35-37 IBU .

APA's have a range IBUs: 30 45 so it's at the lower end of the spectrum.

I would say depends on what you want from the beer. Are you no-chilling? With lots of late hops you need to cater for that. Also late hops do add bitterness, just not so much in the IBU calculations. Chew on a hop cone or a pellet, it hasn't been boiled but it's still bitter. What I call perceived bitterness is what you taste. Perceived bitterness is from Isomized Alpha Acids which the IBU calc uses, but also from many other things like hop tannins, oxidized beta acids, polyphenols, etc. My no-chill'd Epic Pale Ale only shows 8.9 IBU in Beersmith, but it is bitter like a big APA should be. On the other hand my MIDAPA house beer averages between 37 and 47 IBU (depending on what I feel like on the day) but I don't have any hop additions less than 10min, and then I dry hop. It has almost 40% Munich II. I haven't used Meridian but generally I like my APA beers to have a good hit of dry hops, so I would not drop the Munich but throw in a good dry hop addition.

QldKev

thanks for the replies guys!

yes I'm no chilling, if i check this on brewmate ibu goes to 50

yes i would like a good malty backbone with balanced hops
so should I add another 20g into the cube?

Grain bill looks great. 35-40 IBU with this grainbill should work really well. Try adding your zero minute addition at whirlpool and then dry hopping as suggested, if that's your thing.

Never heard of meridian. Have you used it before, mate?

thanks for the replies guys!

yes I'm no chilling, if i check this on brewmate ibu goes to 50

yes i would like a good malty backbone with balanced hops
so should I add another 20g into the cube?

Not having used the hops, but I just read the notes

I would drop some of the CTZ, say half (at a guess enough for around 10 IBU)
Throw the 0min addition in the cube
Add 1g/L dry hop

Depends on what you expect in the final taste, I don't use wheat in my APA style I think that's more a hangover from people trying to improve head retention. I replace it with crystal, but then I'm probably designing it how I like my APA. If your thinking more a Stone and wood style, then up the wheat.

never used meridian before

i will cube the 0min then dry hop as suggested
will cut the ctz

will report back

Back