Base Malts For Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After a few (relatively) successful AG brews now, I think I will stick with it. So, I'm looking at the option of buying in bulk to save some $$ on my base malt.

From what I've read, it seems that most people generally seem to use the same type as a base for pretty much everything they brew. Obviously there will be some exceptions though depending on beer type.

It seems that the most common ones are pale/pale ale or Pilsner malts. What are some of the ones that you use? Do you have a stock standard malt that you use for most beers?

One example is Weyermanns Pale Ale - $4.70kg or $79 for a 25kg sack, that's almost a $45 saving! Maris Otter pale is very similar in price...I guess that's two.

Anyway, just curious as to what some of you guys use.

i biab and do ales,my base malt is barrett burston ale malt,am still learning about all grain brewing but very happy with the results.
in the past i used BB ale,TF golden promise and wheat malt.got some great brews with this lot.
i dont bother with ant others as i home roast my own to add extra flavour/colour.
if interested in home roasting go to Barley Pop Maker.com.

cheers....spog..

I use Weyermann Pilsner for all my beers. I can't find a style where it doesn't work - most of them are better because of it.

Not a big fan of the Aussie malts as (to me) they have a funny taste that shows up if you aren't hopping heavily. It's a pissy taste, but underneath a bucket of hops it's difficult to notice ... make a 1.040 lager with it and you get that signature "aussie lager" thing that a lot of people attribute to warm fermenting.

I don't make UK beers. BTW - I find Weyermann's Ale malt has a distinct taste I don't like. I'd rather use BB Ale.

I keep a bag of bb palemalt,vienna,munich, wey pils, maris otter and wheat malt in stock to cover whatever style or recipe that I feel like brewing.

BB ale? Is that Barret Burston? If so, I can't seem to find any of that here.

Tons of other names and no-name brands though. It's all quite confusing...

The no name NZ ones are really cheap, but probably crap.

Marris otter or golden promise for english ales, domestic ale or pilsener malt for aussie ales and apa's, and pilsener malt.for lagers.

These ones seem to be most common ones for ales in NZ, from a quick search around some online local websites:

NZ Pale Malt (Malteurope) $4.20kg $ 2.58 - $64.50 for 25kg
Weyermanns Pale Ale $4.70kg $ 3.14 - $78.50 for 25kg
UK Marris Otter Pale Ale $5.30kg $ 3.68 - $92.00 for 25kg

Quite a large difference really.

I've emailed my LHBS to see if they can do me a deal. :)

Marris otter or golden promise for english ales, domestic ale or pilsener malt for aussie ales and apa's, and pilsener malt.for lagers.

If your adding plenty of hops and some specialty grains, does it really matter what base malt you use?Would the cheap NZ one do the trick?

Maybe buy a small amount of the NZ malt to do one batch and see how you like it before buying in bulk.

Wouldnt be without a sack of wheat malt either, dont brew wheats but I find a wheat addition in all my ales helps that nice creamy head.

Love the stuff, I mostly still use JW Pale but do have a sack of Bo Pils and Marris Otter

I tend to brew quite a lot of APA, AIPA's so yeah, if nicks comments are believed to hold water I must have the Hop Threshold down pat. :p

:icon_cheers:

Hi guys,

After a few (relatively) successful AG brews now, I think I will stick with it. So, I'm looking at the option of buying in bulk to save some $$ on my base malt.

From what I've read, it seems that most people generally seem to use the same type as a base for pretty much everything they brew. Obviously there will be some exceptions though depending on beer type.

It seems that the most common ones are pale/pale ale or Pilsner malts. What are some of the ones that you use? Do you have a stock standard malt that you use for most beers?

One example is Weyermanns Pale Ale - $4.70kg or $79 for a 25kg sack, that's almost a $45 saving! Maris Otter pale is very similar in price...I guess that's two.

Anyway, just curious as to what some of you guys use.

US ales and aussie ales, BEST pilz, all uk ales, maris otter

Got a sweet deal on some organic boh pils ($1.25 p/kg). Bought an assload of it and am working my way through it. Got an imperial pilsener CCing as I type.

Yummy.

Wouldnt be without a sack of wheat malt either, dont brew wheats but I find a wheat addition in all my ales helps that nice creamy head.

Love the stuff, I mostly still use JW Pale but do have a sack of Bo Pils and Marris Otter

I tend to brew quite a lot of APA, AIPA's so yeah, if nicks comments are believed to hold water I must have the Hop Threshold down pat. :p

:icon_cheers:

I'm with ya there, I don't brew wheats but very few of my beers do not have a percentage of wheat in them.
BB Pale (fantastic malt) and BB ale are always in my brewery.

Batz

Retailers such as Ross would know more than me but I understand that NZ is a fairly self sufficient malt producer in its own right and you probably wouldn't get Barrett Burston or Joe White in the Shaky Isles, but I could be wrong here. The domestic malts look very well priced by our dollar standards - for most hop driven ales they would be just fine. Maybe shoot an email to a craft brewery such as Twisted Hop for their advice - they are usually quite friendly to home brewers.

Back