Base Malt!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeap BB Ale malt rocks for an APA

Cheer
JSB

I agree with Tony there. In APAs ans AIPAs, your specialty malts are going to make the difference, not the base. Spend your money there.

I'm interested to know what people think of Galaxy. I'm almost out of pils malt and thinking of getting a sack of this... mainly for hefes but maybe the odd pils or ale

I like Galaxy. The berry size is small, so close up your mill gap or you can expect some pretty bad efficiencies.

What do people think of JW Pilsner vs BB Pilsner malt? I only use Weyermann Pilsner malt for my lighter German Lagers and it's the bee's knees. I've used JW Pilsner malt before though and found it tasted really grainy or something and wasn't to my liking. I'm brewing for a relative with a less discerning palate currently and want to shave some off the cost, so was considering trying a sack of BB Pilsner malt as a trial. Cheers, H.

Why skimp? If you're happy with Wey pils for lighter lagers (personally I wouldn't use anything else) then unless you're aiming for a sub-standard product it'd be silly to use anything else. I always take the attitude that if I'm giving beer away I want to make sure it's the best I can make - I don't want to perpetuate the "Oh that's crap, it tastes like homebrew" phenomenon. Besides, your relative may let his mates try your beer and they may have better palates. As an aside, I think JW pils is crap.

Cheers, I'm going to try and make a great beer with BB Pils malt and maybe a different style of lager to what I would make with the Weyermann, something a bit more 'Australian' to suit the tastes of the recipient, but still a great beer. I will still use the German malt for my own kegs. I don't think a less expensive malt will result in a lesser beer, just a different one. Cheers for the opinion on JW, I think along the same lines. I also am very self critical when it comes to beer given away or for tasting, you've your heart in the glass so to speak.

Latest posts

Back