Base malt: Pale Ale malt v Ale malt (2row)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your base malt of choice

• Golden Promise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pilsner

• Other

• Total voters
wessmith said:
TF and other uk malsters produce a range of pale ale malts, but not a specific malt called a pale ale malt. I don't ever recall anyone ever referring to a pale ale malt in the UK, they're referred to by the varietal name (Maris otter, halcyon etc). If you went in a decent UK HBS and asked for pale ale malt you'd probably end up with something belgian, not that there's anything wrong with that. Pale malt was the common catch all (eg graham wheelers book) for pale ale malts.

And now my brain hurts

wessmith said:
Do you go for floor malted or pnuematic malted verysupple?

Wes
I use Simpsons. From their website I don't think they do floor malting so even though I've never heard of "pnuematic malting" it must be that. :)

EDIT: Typo and clarifying that I have heard of "floor malted". I'm not a complete novice. :p

Blind Dog said:
TF and other uk malsters produce a range of pale ale malts, but not a specific malt called a pale ale malt. I don't ever recall anyone ever referring to a pale ale malt in the UK, they're referred to by the varietal name (Maris otter, halcyon etc). If you went in a decent UK HBS and asked for pale ale malt you'd probably end up with something belgian, not that there's anything wrong with that. Pale malt was the common catch all (eg graham wheelers book) for pale ale malts.

And now my brain hurts
Exactly, BD. My concern was the term was being used loosely here in Aus. Barretts do not have a "pale ale malt" as such, just a "pale malt" or an "ale malt" QED

Wes

Back