Barvarian Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretto

Reaction score
Hi

ive just put on this beer kit with the brew booster pack thats recomended for it and im realy interested in how this will turn out has anyone els done this kit ?? how was it
_________________ :beer:

I usually do a coopers or morgans wheat beer:

Double batch
2 tins
2KG Dextrose
1KG DME
No Hops

Everyone loves this beer, its a bit stong but thats the way I like it. I would love to put some hops in but everyone complained last time casue it was too bitter!

This is my everyday beer, but I will just use the tins & DME next time that will be awesome!

Might try the Bavarian whaet next time too.

Cheers Kramer. :party:

thanks for the reply mate. your beer sounds good i dont mind a strong beer , it sure dose seperate the boys from the men!!

Kramer.... No kidding with that avatar...!

bretto said:
Hi

ive just put on this beer kit with the brew booster pack thats recomended for it and im realy interested in how this will turn out has anyone els done this kit ?? how was it
_________________ :beer:
[post="81308"][/post]​

I'm drinking (and thoroughly enjoying) an ESB 3Kg Bav Wheat using yeast cultured from Grand Ridge Natural Blonde. It's lovely; smooth, light body, some clove and a tart finish (tastes like lime). Not much like a hefeweizen cos of the yeast I used, but I'll be brewing a couple more with a liquid hefe yeast for Jan-Feb.

Has anyone tried the ESB Fresh wheat? I'm keen to try one when its on sale in November.

Baz

The ESB Wheat Kit comes out a treat, and also works out well if you do a 1 boil with some hops, orange peel and crushed coriander seeds for a Hoegaarden recipe

Obviously wont be exactly like the real thing, but good for beginners and a quick brew

Bazza said:
I'm drinking (and thoroughly enjoying) an ESB 3Kg Bav Wheat using yeast cultured from Grand Ridge Natural Blonde.

Baz
[post="81477"][/post]​

Hi Bazza,
I want to make a wheat beer soonish. Within the next month.
I dont know much about Grand ridge. Have you used their yeast before? Is the beer bottle conditioned?
I dont want to buy a Wyeast smack pack just to brew one wheat beer so I am looking for one I can culture up.

johnno

[post="81477"][/post]​
[/quote]

Hi Bazza,
I dont know much about Grand ridge. Have you used their yeast before? Is the beer bottle conditioned?
I dont want to buy a Wyeast smack pack just to brew one wheat beer so I am looking for one I can culture up.

johnno
[post="81493"][/post]​
[/quote]

Johnno
Grand ridge is a bottle conditioned Aust wheat beer (I actually used the yeast based on someone's previous success). For a few dollars you get to down a couple of tasty beers, and pinch their yeast. I don't think there are that many wheat beers around with an actual wheat yeast in the bottle?
From memory the ferment was a little sulphury smelling but the flavours are excellent after 6 weeks in the keg.
Bazza

Bazza said:
[post="81477"][/post]​

Hi Bazza,

johnno
[post="81493"][/post]​
[/quote]

Johnno
Grand ridge is a bottle conditioned Aust wheat beer (I actually used the yeast based on someone's previous success). For a few dollars you get to down a couple of tasty beers, and pinch their yeast. I don't think there are that many wheat beers around with an actual wheat yeast in the bottle?
From memory the ferment was a little sulphury smelling but the flavours are excellent after 6 weeks in the keg.
Bazza
[post="81585"][/post]​
[/quote]

Thanks Bazza,
I'm on a mission now. :super:

johnno

johnno said:
Bazza said:
I'm drinking (and thoroughly enjoying) an ESB 3Kg Bav Wheat using yeast cultured from Grand Ridge Natural Blonde.

Baz
[post="81477"][/post]​

Hi Bazza,

johnno
[post="81493"][/post]​

Schnieder is the only weizen that has been confirmed as having the primary strain in the bottle,all the other seem to use lager strains.
The schneider edelweiss(organic) seems to be a little fresher and faster to culture up than the standard weiss.

Don't whatever you do ,be suckered into using k97,its not a wheaty at all.

:party: Surely some one in your area who frequents this forum could slide u some wy 3068 as a tester,once you have done a weizen with this strain you will be hooked.
I have just had an early taster of an extract(muntons wheat DME) beer with this strain and its sensational.YUMMMMMMMM ;)

Schnieder is the only weizen that has been confirmed as having the primary strain in the bottle,all the other seem to use lager strains.
The schneider edelweiss(organic) seems to be a little fresher and faster to culture up than the standard weiss.

Don't whatever you do ,be suckered into using k97,its not a wheaty at all.

:party: Surely some one in your area who frequents this forum could slide u some wy 3068 as a tester,once you have done a weizen with this strain you will be hooked.
I have just had an early taster of an extract(muntons wheat DME) beer with this strain and its sensational.YUMMMMMMMM ;)
[post="81594"][/post]​

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Hoeg...east-t4140.html

This was a thread a while back on wheat strains. Grand ridge did the trick as far as I can tell (clove and lime, they are yeast flavours not grain).
I would agree though, in future I'm going to spend a few more dollars on the liquid yeast and split it a few times to be more economical.
Bazza

BTW what is the K-97 good for? From its profile it says its a german ale yeast suitable for belgian wheats. Anyone used it outside of wheats?

k97 is an alt or kolsch yeast and performs like wy 1007

Bazza said:
I'm drinking (and thoroughly enjoying) an ESB 3Kg Bav Wheat using yeast cultured from Grand Ridge Natural Blonde. It's lovely; smooth, light body, some clove and a tart finish (tastes like lime). Not much like a hefeweizen cos of the yeast I used, but I'll be brewing a couple more with a liquid hefe yeast for Jan-Feb.
[post="81477"][/post]​
I have only ever made one of the wheat paint tin kits. It turned out pretty good although next time I would add less water.

I know someone who one a prize with that particular kit and it has a good reputation as far as I can tell.

Back