Barrett Burston Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is BB a one step infusion type malt (sorry never used it) or does it benefit from steps ?

cheers

No no commercial malts available benefit from steps, unless it is described as under-modified.

cheers

Darren

I heard some opinions recently that cloudy mashtun runoff doesnt lead to cloudy beer, but that its more attributiable to temp & ph and how big the rolling boil is. do u use any whirlfloc in boiling ? is BB a one step infusion type malt (sorry never used it) or does it benefit from steps ?

cheers

there was no whirl floc or any other finings. we did boil pretty big to the point of a few too many boilovers (trying to do as close to 50 litres in a 50 litre pot is a real challenge). I heard the same thing about cloudy mash tun run off somewhere too, who knows. as well as this tend to get a lot of trub in the fermenters too, don't whirlpool or anything, most of it goes in the last bit through a kitchen strainer.
got a little kettle pickup tube from domonsura now though i'm thinking of jamming a stainless steel scourer on it in the kettle to see how that goes at filtering trub and crap out.

Your guess sounds pretty accurate to me, the ales I have made with BB Ale have ended up bright as. Wait and see it might drop a bit clearer with a little time maybe?

haha i will try :)
full soda keg went in about 3 days but i've got a dozen stubbies worth that i'm trying to save for christmas. was only the third all grain so i'd rather it be tasting great but cloudy instead of the other way around.

No no commercial malts available benefit from steps, unless it is described as under-modified.

cheers

Darren

Darren - German grains are said to be less modified than Aussie grains. Does this mean that Weyermann is 'under-modified'. I have heard that using a temp 'step' mash for Weyermann will improve it.

Cheers, Hoges.

i think the only undermodified one is the bo-pils

The BB malt is THE BEST bang-for-your-buck malt going. I am always getting 78-80% eff and use it for everything form Pale to Stout

i think the only undermodified one is the bo-pils

Thats the rumour but I doubt it's true. I am brewing with it at the moment using single infusion and it is nice and clear with 80% efficiency.

Steve

I have used this malt a few times and have found it to be an excellent malt for my house beers which are usually APA's bittered to about 50 IBU.

I have found it to be cloudy though but that may be due to the Yeasts I have used with it so far which include, 1056,1332, US56 dry and the Nottingham dry. Also may be due to the fact that no brew has lasted more that 4 weeks after bottling.

Overall a very reasonable malt and highly recommended.

cheers
johnno

Does anyone know if you can add BB into beersmith?
eric

Thanks Bugwan :beer:

Back