Barrett Burston Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Just wondering what Barrett Burston Ale malt is like as I have never used it before? Also what does it perform like. I would normally use German Pils Malt and either MO Ale or JW Ale malt. Any info would be great.

Steve

I found it to be quite good and up to scratch considering it is relatively cheaper than other brand ale malts.

Would u recomend the pale or the ale malt for doing English bitters and Porters

Ahh yes, the problem with the BB descriptions is that BB pale is actually lager malt not ale. Galaxy is pilsner malt and ale is "ale"!?!

I found there is a fair bit of non-grain material in the bags i.e stems etc. Not really a problem considering the price though.

I use BB grain, have used Ale and Galaxy for the last couple of brews, gets my vote.

I found there is a fair bit of non-grain material in the bags i.e stems etc. Not really a problem considering the price though.

Interesting - I handle over a tonne a month of this grain & have never experienced your findings. I've certainly found in Powells malts though, but not Barrett Burstons.

cheers Ross

i've actually had a load of sh!t in Weyermann malts lately, including a lump of white stone that just about took the knurling off the rollers in one spot.

I tried BB Ale when I was making Pommy style Ales and I thought it was great.

Just wondering what Barrett Burston Ale malt is like as I have never used it before? Also what does it perform like. I would normally use German Pils Malt and either MO Ale or JW Ale malt. Any info would be great.

Steve

I bought a bag from Ross of the Pale Malt and used it in all my ales , I wish I had bought four bags now it was great Steve .

I prefered it over the JWM IMO

Pumpy :)

.....also think the BB ale malt is awesome, the pale malts a bit so so nothing special to see here move along in someways but have made great beer out of it. The ale malt like everyone has said makes awesome beers.

Nothing wrong with BB ale. Actually, I wouldn't spend the extra for the pommie malts.

cheers

Darren

I have used the galaxy malt to make a stout recently with pretty good results. I got a bronze medal at the recent BABBs annual comp with it. I have gone through one 25 kg bag and onto my second. I will certainly keep using it for the price.

Ditto the above replies, just emptied my first sack of Ale, and it's tops stuff.

Cheers

Great new on the BB Pale "ALE" front. Just wondering what this decription implies? Is it undermodified?

Good pale 2-row base spring malting grade barley. Well-modified and kilned malt is required.

Steve

Interesting - I handle over a tonne a month of this grain & have never experienced your findings. I've certainly found in Powells malts though, but not Barrett Burstons.

cheers Ross

Just going on what I skimmed from the mash Ross. If you find it clean, then maybe I just got dregs a couple of times (I've only used BB three times.) Powells I have found quite clean, but had some poor extraction with their Pilsner malt.

Great new on the BB Pale "ALE" front. Just wondering what this decription implies? Is it undermodified?

Good pale 2-row base spring malting grade barley. Well-modified and kilned malt is required.

Steve

It's an aussie malt so should be well modified. I found it produced very good results. A bit more prone to boil overs though.

Cheers, Hoges.

did up a pale ale the other week with 10kg of BB Ale and 500g of light crystal, tasted amazing however was very very cloudy after 2 1/2 weeks in the fermenter and cold crashed for 2-3 days.
anyone else seen this in pales with the BB?

my guess is actually my poorly made and too small mash tun into which i shoehorned 10.5kg of grain and it didn't clear up even after 10-15 * 500ml's of recycling before i ran it off. tend to think in hindsight the crush had a lot of flour in it too which probably didn't help.

did up a pale ale the other week with 10kg of BB Ale and 500g of light crystal, tasted amazing however was very very cloudy after 2 1/2 weeks in the fermenter and cold crashed for 2-3 days.
anyone else seen this in pales with the BB?

my guess is actually my poorly made and too small mash tun into which i shoehorned 10.5kg of grain and it didn't clear up even after 10-15 * 500ml's of recycling before i ran it off. tend to think in hindsight the crush had a lot of flour in it too which probably didn't help.

Your guess sounds pretty accurate to me, the ales I have made with BB Ale have ended up bright as. Wait and see it might drop a bit clearer with a little time maybe?

I heard some opinions recently that cloudy mashtun runoff doesnt lead to cloudy beer, but that its more attributiable to temp & ph and how big the rolling boil is. do u use any whirlfloc in boiling ? is BB a one step infusion type malt (sorry never used it) or does it benefit from steps ?

cheers

Back